BIG Update to Craft!--AGAIN

$8m of cash = free spell check.

1 Like

Seems like it happened the other way around. Spellcheck became free before the investment.

I will be interested in seeing your conclusions. Do you think you will use it as well as, or instead of Obsidian?

1 Like

Instead – I am trying to use as few apps as I can, where I put as much stuff as I can. Since Craft does not have E2EE, that means my private diaries will not be there (they’re in Obsidian now), and go back to a dedicated app (Diarly), but that’s a compromise I can live with if that’s the only content that lives outside.

Will definitely report back. As far as I can say so far, the workflow is very different from Obsidian, but it’s interesting: the layout options encourage you to do pretty documents, while not being overly fiddly; this generates a system that pushes to you to take care of it, but not too much either, which I find an interesting balance. I feel a little more inclined to curate, which I find a good thing – and it’s still really fast to do.

1 Like

The top left tab (G in my pic), between the traffic lights and the document tabs, takes me back to the menu and I can open other docs.

1 Like

@anon20961960 The fastest way to do this on the Mac is type Cmd+O, type search terms, open the page and then drag to the side, It opens as a separate window so you can have the two documents side-by-side. You can have as many tabs/docs open as you like.

You can also send tabs to the left or right as needed. You can even send the tab directly to the iPad.

1 Like

I just have a blank document set up how I like it, and duplicate it when I start anew.

Or, you can have a document called Templates and put your different default card templates in there.When you want a new card in something, just open up Templates, select the card you want, copy, then paste where you want it.

Not a Craft user, but Craft Shortcuts actions seem like the best approach for templating, I would think. Here’s two I imagine are valuable for this:

1 Like

BIG update to Craft today: it now has a web editor (currently in beta).
Won’t be using it, but it’s an immensely popular request so that’s a smart move, and I’m happy if it helps garner a bigger audience to the app.
They are seriously beating Bear at their own game… and it makes me sad for Shiny Frog, Bear is an app I’ve always loved using, despite not making it my daily driver for a long time. Hope they retain their audience.

2 Likes

FYI, looks like you can use HTML in the content field of the Shortcuts actions to produce styled templates. Doesn’t work with tasks, though, sadly.

1 Like

Re: You can even send the tab directly to the iPad.
I experienced some weird behavior.What I think happened was It was presumed that I had Sidecar which I don’t.
Correction: I do have sidecar- had understood that it wouldn’t work w. my machine and so was perplexed by the weird behavior.

Any idea if the web editor works with spaces stored in local storage such as iCloud? I’d guess not if the data never hits their servers?

Did you go all in on Craft? Dying to hear about it if you did.

Lemme know if you have edits for the eulogy I wrote for you:
Kevin died like he lived—waiting for the perfect app.

4 Likes

Thanks! Not yet :slightly_smiling_face: I am testing it extensively and working “as if”, though, with a few areas of focus I can separate from my main body of notes, pretending Obs doesn’t exist outside of it. It’s an incredibly well made product, honestly, and I just love using it, it makes me want to use it and do pretty things, where Obsidian is a truck of an app, robust and incredibly powerful, but… it’s Electron. It lacks that “wow” factor. It’s like (if I may) using either macOS (Craft) or Windows (Obsidian). It really depends if you’re shallow like I am and like the bells and whistles :grin:

More seriously: Craft is very polished but still feels “young” in many areas, while Obsidian has become amazingly mature and does everything you might want and then some. On the strict feature list and use case, Obsidian is so much better, it’s not even funny. But Craft brings me joy and for that, I’m ready to close my eyes on some quirks of youth and missing features.

I do not think I could go all-in in Craft at the moment. But I would want to. I’ve never considered writing plugins for Obsidian, but for Craft, I’m very interested. So I’m really using it a lot at the moment and following development of both closely :slight_smile:

To sum up: if you want to get a complex job done with a tool that scales no matter what you throw at it, go Obsidian. If you have lighter needs and you like pretty documents, typography, and a native experience, go Craft.

1 Like

Oh, and mine is

Here rests KillerWhale, and here, and there, and over there also
Scattered like his PKM, with notes dating back to Treepad. :grin:

5 Likes

But baby! I’ve changed! I’m a new man!

Yes. I covet the look and feel of Craft.

But I love obsidian. And I decided that my long term notes repository must be plain text unless there are major upsides in some kind of database app.

Also, obsidian has all of my money now.

Craft is not plain text and is not nearly as functional.

But I have a free year of pro, so I’ve been using it for some one-off projects that I don’t want mixed in with my obsidian stuff.

And make it a Viking funeral for me. Unless space is an option.

2 Likes

Actually, it mostly is plaintext. It’s using a kind of Markdown, I think. At least, you can export to Markdown really easily. :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve tested some importing and exporting … it mostly works … but mostly becomes a problem when dealing with thousands of notes. I don’t know how to script, which might be why i look at this differently than some other folks here. I just like the idea of everything sitting on my drive as a folder of markdown files.

I am still testing Obsidian but one of the major drawbacks of Obsidian for my workflow is the inability (at least I can’t figure out how) is that I cannot drag a Mail message into an Obsidian note that creates a link back to the Mail message. I do this routinely with Apple Mail to Craft. This is an ideal workflow because I can immediately reference the email message directly from Craft.

I also just confirmed with one of the Craft developers that they plan to add an automatic backlink to the Omnifocus note field from a task sent from Craft so that one can click the Craft link in OF back to the relevant Craft note.

Regarding OF’s capability - this is not available right now as it was more complex to add compared to DT, but we are planning to introduce it later on!

I will also add that while in concept I like the idea of all of my notes being plain text files, I find the markdown syntax to add a lot of visual clutter. Because Craft can export any and all of my Craft notes as plain text files and I can export them to DevonThink as markdown files (and of course DT can convert them as well), all of my notes are future proofed.

Craft as excellent bi-directional linking and now a web editor (I was just invited to the Web Editor Beta) so I haven’t found a compelling value proposition for Obsidian compared to Craft for my workflow needs.

That said, perhaps I’m missing something? I have zero FOMO when it comes to things like social media but I do when it comes to apps! :slight_smile:

2 Likes