BIG Update to Craft!--AGAIN

I’ve been importing and exporting files occasionally to see how it’s going. It’s getting better but am still seeing some issues here and there. Still seems like it’s missing some basic functionality, like starring a file that you’re viewing, or moving a file that you’re viewing. Though I really like using it and am actively having to restrain myself from switching on a whim. I’ve made a deal with myself to keep tabs on things…see how Obsidian’s mobile apps turn out, see how Craft evolves over the next couple of months, and then make a decision. I love them both. But I love them in different ways! If @curtismchale starts posting more videos about it I might be powerless.

I agree, there are definitely missing features. That seems to be an issue with every app across nearly every category. I’ve come to the conclusion that every app is a compromise. Consequently, one has to pick the one that does the best at meeting most of one’s workflow needs.

BTW, to what video were you referring? It sounds interesting.

1 Like

The difference between Notes and Craft is that Notes is built for the entire universe of Mac and iPhone/iPad users. What is that, something like 1.5 billion devices? Whereas Craft is built for an orders of magnitude smaller niche. So, Apple needs to cater to the greatest common denominator with the lowest average expectations, and in return we get bland but generally stable software.

Thanks… the lack of the ability to embed all types of files and documents is a bit of a deal breaker for me right now. Love the interface, sharing a page is great, better than anything else I’ve used.

I certainly understand that. My issue is not so much missing features in AN as the syncing issues and the problematic export option. Needless to say, syncing should be more reliable. It is not terrible, but not good enough. The ability to export in several formats (at least as PDF, Markdown, and Plain text files) while preserving the folder structure should not be a problem even for a lowest common denominator approach. Like I said previously, I like Apple Notes and I do sympathize with their market dynamics so I’m not complaining per se. But, based on my needs, the lack of syncing reliability and export options forced me to move to other apps. Thus far, though far from perfect, Craft is the closest to meeting most of my needs.

Microeconomics in action. You have needs Apple doesn’t satisfy. Craft discovers a niche for your cohort of users. A clearing price is found. Deal done.

2 Likes

until the Craft developers figure out the marginal gain from adding new features isn’t worth the effort…

You know, that is probably why I keep coming back to Scrivener and DEVONThink even when I consider using something else for a bit. I LIKE complex apps that have depths I can plumb when I need more capabilities. And it’s comfortable knowing I can extend my uses without learning a whole new system.

6 Likes

For those interested, Craft released another significant upgrade today (March 29, 2021)

A new week is here, and so is our next update! The latest update is packed with many things, most importantly we are introducing universal attachment support, making spell check available for everyone, updating titles to use smileys and a set of / commands, and improving the document details to contain the location info and option to delete it from the document itself.

2 Likes

I’m getting MOAR interested with every passing release. Craft is gorgeous, I am sorely tempted to see if I can implement some E2EE solution with it.

(Or maybe should I get back to Bear…? Aaaaah, notes apps… :sweat_smile:)

Right? I’ve gone full-in on Notion after the MPU episode with August Brady. :joy: The linked/relational databases are a powerhouse and I find they click better than the knowledge graphs and linked notes of zettelkasten. :man_shrugging:t2:

Good grief Craft is a beautiful app though and their development pace is unmatched.

1 Like

I love the fact that I can now attach any type of file and up to 50GB. This was exactly the thing that frustrated me. Finally, I can attach large videos that relate to research.

Having snippets like dates in the title is also something I’ll be using a lot.

3 Likes

Sir, you are very close to win me over… I love Obsidian but Craft is sooooo nice, I love the native feeling, its beauty and the simple « just use it out of the box » that it provides. I am starting my two week trial and will be using it intensely in the coming weeks. Unless I encounter some major deal breaker, this is with the intent to stay. I will miss E2EE but I still have a subscription to Diarly for really personal stuff.
Thanks for being quite the evangelist!

@anon85228692 Thanks for the kind words. I really was not trying to evangelize Craft but if it proves as helpful and delightful for others as it is for me then I’m delighted! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Loved the Podcast with the Dev of Muse hosting one of the Craft founders.

The way Craft views their place in the ecosphere gave me a lot of confidence that lock-in antics aren’t likely.

As soon as Table support is delivered I’m going Premium.

Which podcast is this? I’m having trouble searching for it. Edit: found it!

3 Likes

I look forward to listening to that, thanks!

@anon20961960 it seems to me that you may owe me a loaf of your bread! :laughing:

2 Likes

I am extremely impressed by the sync engine of Craft. It’s unreal how fast it is compared to anything else I’ve ever used.

I’ll be interested in seeing how it goes for you. I tried a few weeks back but felt like it was still missing some essentials, and I missed some features from obsidian that I didn’t even notice before. Some behaviors, like every link you write in text becomes a new note, and all new notes go into the inbox, and there’s no easy way to move a note to a different location while you’re viewing it…just a lot of minor paper cuts…sent me back out to obsidian.

Also, any links from obsidian to notes that aren’t created yet will not import as a link.

But I am constantly lusting after the way it looks and feels.

1 Like