BIG Update to Craft!--AGAIN

The new feature makes it simple to keep all notes in local storage, and move a given note to / from Craft’s cloud storage when you want.

Some features do no work with local storage:

• Sharing documents with secret link
  • Document activity report
  • Document backups
  • Commenting on documents (goes along with “no secret link”)

There may be other gaps I haven’t seen. All of these gaps make sense if local storage is used.

2 Likes

Do you happen to know of a good way to export all current folders/notes to the new external storage, in my case iCloud?

I had just tested this. I went to my current Craft space (on their server). Clicked on a folder–>Select “more” on right upper side (ellipsis inside of a circle)–>Select “export”–> Select “textbundles” (I did not try “Markdown)”–> exported to desktop. Then I went to the new space I had created on iCloud Drive and imported. Everything was there. All intact like the original structure. The imported folder contained all of the subfolders and images.

1 Like

Excellent, I’ll give that a try! Thanks! I just put your post in Craft for quick reference. :slight_smile:

Perfect! That works.

Oh no! But what a great excuse and reason to get an M1. Very jealous.

1 Like

@Bmosbacker @anon41602260 Just noticed the when exporting-importing a document with a pdf. Adds a block under the pdf with the name of the file. Don’t know its intended purpose. May be a bigger deal if you were exporting-importing lots of pdfs.

1 Like

That’s interesting: I assume the link is not active? I for one do not attach documents to Craft—I use only links to documents in other programs.

1 Like

I missed this somewhere… how do you link to documents in other programs? So far I’ve only been able to imbed PDF files. Links to other documents would be great.

A dumb question-- but I wasn’t offered a place to export to. Not sure where the export ended up. How did you find it?

Once you select the export format a save dialog box should appear. Then select where you want the files to go.

1 Like

Weird. I did not get the dialogue. I’ll ask the developer. Thanks!!!

Do a spotlight search with the name of the folder that you exported. Will show you where files are exported by default.

@terryportis linking and sharing is one of Craft’s best features. There a multiple ways to create links within Craft, links to share out, and external links to embed—see screen shots. Additionally, any program that can create a shareable link can be embedded in Craft. I use these features constantly. I prefer linking because it keeps the size of a database like Craft much smaller, which I believe minimizes syncing time and issues. For my work flow, I am cross-linking Craft with Things 3 projects/tasks, emails in Apple Mail or Spark, DEVONthink, Google Drive, iCloud, OneDrive, MindNode, Scrivener, and a few others.

I hope this is helpful. If not, let me know.

If you want links to files, Hook is a nice way to create links.

Some are having issues with Hook. I can’t vouch for those issues because I don’t use Hook but I wanted to pass it along.

Hey Denny…I’m in the same app-boat as you…having found Obsidian and liking it.

My issue is that much of my work is image based, and that brings a set of challenges with Obsidian…and got me to look at Craft, which is certainly a visual-based tool.

Wondering, on your Obsidian usage, are you using 1Writer to access and work on the files on IOS? Could you please elaborate on that?

Yes, well, that’s the plan and intent. Having an issue at the moment as the 1Writer folder in iCloud which shows up on all my iOS devices refuses to display on the Mac so I can’t chose it as an Obsidian Vault. For the moment I’m copying files to a 2nd folder as a temporary work around. In theory it should work! I’ve been a long-time user of iA Writer but 1Writer seems a better choice here in terms of editing/previewing/navigating.

I really like Craft. It’s a great feeling app and it’s scratching a native itch that none of the other linked thinking apps can.

But, honestly, I’m starting to wonder if they are insanely talented developers that don’t have a plan … like they are flying by the seats of their pants. Maybe not very well organized. Maybe don’t have a vision of what the app should be. All of which is making me a little concerned about the future of the app. Again, I love the app and I hope that I’m wrong…there’s just a lot of little odd quirks with the product, there’s no roadmap, they go back and forth about what features will be available, and the complete lack of attempted organization on their slack … it’s either nothing or it’s something. Again, I really like the app…the team is very nice and responsive, I want it to be successful and great … but something is nagging at my brain.

2 Likes

I can’t speak to that but I’m not overly worried. They have been rolling out good new features and the export options more or less “future proof” my content so worse case I can export the notes in multiple formats and import them into another app. I’d likely lose some/all? links but I suspect that is true of any app that has backlinking capability.

I wish I had more confidence in Apple Notes. Though AN lacks some of Craft’s finer features, at least I’m confident with the “developer.” :slight_smile: However, there are two things that caused me to abandon AN:

1. I would periodically have syncing issues, which is a big problem with hundreds/thousands of notes.
  2. The terrible export experience and lack of options makes getting your data out of AN a significant problem.

I have not found anything better than Craft for my purposes. It is not perfect, e.g., it lacks tables and even though I prefer to embed links rather than files, there are times when embedding a file would be helpful. So, for now, I will continue with Craft until the end of the year (unless it blows up) and then reassess. I think switching too quickly on a whim, I’m NOT accusing you of that, :slight_smile: as I am often tempted to do, is counter productive.

1 Like