BIG Update to Craft!--AGAIN

Thanks for the info!

Actually quite a bunch of these domains relate to business outside of their countries.
I don’t think many of the .io folks are based on the Indian Ocean! Nor those guys with .to domains have anything other than their domains on Tonga.

2 Likes

Fastmail is NOT in the federated states of Micronesia, despite the fm.

1 Like

I think Hungary … a number of the devs names are typically Hungarian.

I tried it again tonight…can’t believe I can’t search my documents without a paying subscription.

1 Like

Unfortunately, at present I am not aware of a good way to do this. I went through my Apple Notes and copy/pasted what I wanted to keep in Craft. A laborious process but it was a good culling process. The Sweetsetup seems to agree:

Finally, I’m semi-disappointed not to find a proper importing feature.**Were I to want to move entire libraries of content from an app like Bear or Keep It (or more mainstream apps like Evernote or OneNote), there isn’t an immediate workflow to bulk import past notes.

Craft is not yet “fully baked” but the developers are rapidly adding features and fine tuning the app. For my purposes, it is the best note taking application available. I do not use Craft for storing documents. Craft also has excellent bulk export features, unlike Apple Notes.

I’ve settled on this workflow:

Craft: used for professional and personal notes and for cross linking notes, projects, Things 3 projects/tasks and related emails.
Scrivener: All writing projects regardless of size (I decided I don’t need to use different apps for different writing needs—Scrivener’s compile feature is so powerful that I can use it for nearly every writing project.
Drafts: Drafts is the only small exception to what I just wrote. I only use Drafts to write a sensitive email that needs careful thought and proofing before sending. I don’t want to compose such emails in my email client for fear of accidentally hitting send prematurely.
DEVONthink: I use DT to index all hardrive and cloud folders for archived documents of all kinds.

https://thesweetsetup.com/using-craft-notes-for-study-and-preserving-long-term-knowledge/

A possibility, if you have Tinderbox, is to set up to Watch the Notes folder(s), which get share notes into Tinderbox, and then export them in bulk. There may be other apps that are able to import Notes data, but that’s the only one I know.

If you don’t have Tinderbox, you could get the trial, which is fully functional

Edit: I just did a quick test of this and I was able to export a folder of Apple Notes as text, opml and html. One or more of those should be easy to get into Craft

1 Like

Located in Budapest, Hungary.

1 Like

The 1.3 update to Craft says it supports External Locations – but I cannot see how that support is configured? No doubt this is obvious, but … ?

After reading your post I updated and checked. It is NOT obvious but after about 7 minutes, I found it. On the top left, click on the down arrow, choose add new space, then add external location.

The developers are doing a good job of adding new features but they are slower at updating the documentation.

OK. Nicely hidden :roll_eyes: It’s in the dropdown dialog where your account name is located. Doh!

It’s only after adding a personal space does the “Getting Started with External Locations” help guide show up. Odd.

But it’s working good. I set up the same space on Craft on iOS and now can sync docs on my own iCloud account. Of course “Secret Link” sharing is not available in this mode.

In another thread from a few weeks ago I think it was mentioned that this update with iCloud/local storage would also bring with it an option to purchase the app without a subscription. Did that get shelved (or perhaps I’m misremembering)? As is it looks like the user has to purchase the pro subscription to get those features.

One related this topic which often came up when talking with our users about these topics is the ownership of the Craft app - i.e. adding a one-time payment option. In order to both keep aligned with our values above and be able to deliver these, we don’t see this as a viable path currently. Our incentives have to be aligned with best serving our users in the long term. Focusing on a single, one-time payment skews this into focusing on new users vs existing ones.

They cancelled that plan apparently according their blog.

Craft is certainly catching up. Good to see. A little jealous from over here on Obsidian.

Today’s release pushed me to visit the Craft Slack community to understand more about the app’s roadmap. I was a bit disappointed to find that the devs see the app as a “writing tool.” This, to me, constrains the potential of a note-taking app: note-taking and writing are not the same. Hopefully this perspective changes as the app evolves.

3 Likes

This will depend, of course, on one’s note taking needs and preferences but I use Craft exclusively for note taking. I have fairly complex note taking needs and Craft is working beautifully for me. I use Scrivener for all of my writing from blog articles to a book.

I was pretty excited to see 1.3 drop but a little disappointed to see that the files stored locally are all json files. I guess I was imagining Markdown or text files, though in hindsight that wouldn’t make a ton of sense based on how Craft works. The feature is more privacy-centred, I guess, being able to host your data locally. I don’t have anything sensitive in my Craft documents, so I’m not sure whether I’ll store my documents locally or not.

A couple weeks ago I found the thread (or two) I mentioned above which in which you and others mentioned Obsidian. Which became a rabbit hole for me. I spent a couple days. Downloaded Obsidian to my Mac Mini and then 1Writer to my iOS devices and I’m grateful to have found it. For myself, as a new Obsidian user, I’m not jealous at all!

I think Craft looks very interesting. If it were a stand alone purchase I’d likely invest more time to discover if it has a place in my workflow. But I’m already pretty happy with Notes for my basic note-taking. And now with 1Writer/Obsidian, I’m really enjoying a whole new process that came along at a time when I was beginning to think about a new personal project exploring personal history, life events, memories, past interests, etc. So, on a personal note, thanks for that!

4 Likes

I’m not following. What’s your distinction? What “writing” features of Craft do not lend themselves to note taking, or vice versa? Words are words – intent in writing is what makes the difference.

Are you moving all of your notes to external storage now? I don’t know what to do!!

If I understand the new feature correctly, and I may not, I plan to move all Craft notes to an iCloud folder so that nothing is on Craft’s server(s) but on iCloud. I consider that more secure and I’ll still be able to sync across devices. However, I’m going to wait until my new M1 arrives (my MBP 2017 died over the weekend).

1 Like