Black Friday / Cyber Monday 2021 - Share your findings

+! for Snagit. I wish there was discount on SuperStamps too. They go hand in hand. A great combo.

The Walden Font Company is offering a 50% discount on all fonts and design kits through the end of December.

Walden builds fonts from old typefaces – Art Noveau, Fraktur, etc. These make nice additions to a graphics toolbox.

Amazon has a promo for Apple gift cards. $15 Amazon credit with purchase of $100 apple gift card

3 Likes

Just found an offer that might be interesting: valid within the next 13 hours, as of writing this post, if the on page countdown widget can be trusted.

20% Limited-time discount on Premium!
Take your writing to the next level

Not tech related but I love board games. Here’s a good two player game on sale for $17.50

7 Wonders Duel

2 Likes

Thanks. This was what I expected.

The ABBYY ocr engine is great. Their software (on Mac) is a mess though. Such a pity.

When my current copy of Finereader stops working (due to OS upgrades or whatever) I’ll switch to Tesseract. Automation is important to me.

Out of curiosity, have you considered DEVONthink Pro, which uses ABBYY’s engine and is an automation powerhouse? And if yes, why did you turn it down? Teserract is a wonderful open source engine, but its OCR quality still can’t hold a candle to ABBYY, at least in my experience.

I haven’t tried DEVONthink because I don’t need (and actually don’t want) this type of functionality. I use Spotlight for searching and synced folders to store the documents (no iCloud b.t.w.).
Agree on the quality of Tesseract. That’s the reason I still use Finereader. But without automation, it’s useless to me. My workflow, with Hazel processing 90% of my scans, works perfectly.
Even from Finereader I only use a fraction of the options. Basically all I need is a good ocr engine.

1 Like

Understandable, thanks for sharing your experiences :smiley:

Never heard of this game but I am dying for a board game with the kids and so I bought this. Received the game today and the rules seemed daunting. Do you know of any video/tutorials that can help me get started quickly?

Edit to add: I think this is pretty good video. At least, I now have enough knowledge to start:

Board games are so much fun. I haven’t used any vidoes/tutorials, however here’s the 7 wonders duel specific link that has links to videos on how to play.

Depending on how old your kids are. I would take a look at the top rated family games

FYI, board game geek is the main website for board games

Also don’t be daunted on the scoring system, once you play one or two times, then you’ll get a better feel for how it all works together. There can be a lot of strategy involved but I don’t think it’s terribly difficult. Also, I started on 7 wonders, which can play up to 7 players and has similar mechanics. The creators did a good job of creating the 2 player version called duel.

Thanks. My kids are 12 and 10… I will look at boardgamesgeek for more. Currently, we have Catan, Ticket To Ride, Risk, Codenames. Happy to add 7 Wonders if we are hooked to Duel. Thanks for the recommendations.

My son (25) recommended Magic Maze which is a multiplayer cooperative board game. We’ve played it with friends and it has been quite fun.

1 Like

Those are solid games and your kids are a good age for strategy board games. Take a look at Carcassonne, Splendor, Wingspan, Puerto Rico, and Spheres of Influence. I’ve heard good things about Everdell but I haven’t played.

1 Like

For those that missed it an even better deal today (only!): €2,99 for the Pro version via AppSanta:

Installed the free version for a quick test; unfortunately weird behaviour during a quick check (might give it another try later today). Not sure this can replace Copied.

2 Likes