Blog Platforms. I know, what is this… 2003?

I want to get some longer form writing out there. Many years ago, I had a Blogger blog, but more recently I’ve shied away from becoming tied up in google.

Medium is an option, but I remember many negative feelings about them also.

So all options are allowed. whether that’s a Squarespace site or another provider I can point at.

Any opinions?

My blogs, https://axle.design and https://fulcra.design are both hosted there.

It is:

• Independent
  • Wonderfully supported
  • Customizable
  • Even more customizable if you know CSS/HTML/JavaScript
  • Lightweight
  • Easy
  • Works with Markdown apps

I’m hoping to see some RSS functionality show up with Obsidian Publish sometime soon, at which point I’ll probably shift to that to take advantage of native Obsidian features.

5 Likes

Thanks Ryan, that looks really interesting and I would retain all of the content.

1 Like

hi @geoffaire , I am a novice when it comes to blogging. However, you may want to refer to this post which has over 70 posts. I learned a lot from the discussion.

For myself, I started from using medium.com, then micro.blog, tried ghost.org and write.as, now using my own domain to host a WordPress site , so far so good I guess (and hope).

As a side issue, I learned about security, like this story from tidbits. Based on advice from the forum, I have installed wordfence plug in. Not sure that is adequate. At least I am not asking for paid contribution on my site

Dealing with a Card Testing Attack

It was a Sunday, and I was sitting in a comfortable chair with the MacBook Air in my lap and the cat at my side (she’s a right-hand cat, so I sometimes have to resist the temptation to use her head as a pointing device). A notification appeared, telling me that someone had created a TidBITS account in WordPress and signed up for a membership. Such notifications aren’t unusual, but what was strange was when another one appeared, and then another, and another. Curious, I loaded the Users page on our site and realized that a bot was creating accounts with random Gmail addresses, all of which were TidBITS members with $2 custom monthly accounts.

It was clearly not a good thing to have TidBITS memberships created at the rate of about one every 10 seconds. By the time I figured out what was happening and stopped the attack by turning off the Custom Monthly Amount option on our membership page, 70 accounts had been created. I then texted our developer, who enabled Cloudflare’s Bot Fight Mode as well. I had some other things to do, but when I returned a few hours later and enabled Custom Monthly Amount as a test, the attacking bot created a new account within 15 seconds. I shut it off again.

The next day, I contacted Stripe support to see what to do about all the $2 subscriptions. They were all on legitimate credit cards, though many of the accounts used the same card number. Stripe told me that this was likely what’s called “card testing,” a process designed to identify which stolen credit card numbers are still active. I refunded all 71 of the fraudulent charges, and Stripe asked for a report of the refunds; although they aren’t promising anything, I think they may refund me the $25.84 in transaction fees that I would otherwise pay.

After my developer added a reCAPTCHA (which theoretically prevents bots from submitting forms) to the TidBITS membership signup page, I again turned on the Custom Monthly Amount option. No further accounts were created, so I’m hoping the reCAPTCHA does the job.

There’s no great moral to the story here, apart from noting that the Internet has become a place where constant vigilance is necessary for those who try to roll their own services.

3 Likes

Another vote for blot.im here. Dead simple and very customizable. If you want to publish, but don’t want to spend a lot of time tinkering with your site, go with Blot.

3 Likes

Plenty of providers can sell you either a managed or self-managed WordPress instance. Just be careful with what add-ons/plug-ins you use. While the core platform is still solid, several of the large ecosystem providers have had some serious security issues lately.

2 Likes

hey Ryan. Can you clarify what you mean by

I’m hoping to see some RSS functionality show up with Obsidian Publish sometime soon, at which point I’ll probably shift to that to take advantage of native Obsidian features.

Do you mean Obsidian Publish does not have RSS functionality at present? And if/when it does you’ll move your personal sites over to Obsidian publish?

Very very curious.
Cheers
Simon

Lots of other options are being discussed in this post:

1 Like

You’ve got it. Publish does not offer feeds at the moment, but if and when it does, I’ll probably shift my blogs over there.

In the meantime, Blot supports [[wikilinking]] and YAML the same way Obsidian does, so it is still a great place for publishing blog posts from Obsidian.

1 Like

I was going to suggest Wordpress on your own install as well. It’s relatively easy to maintain once installed and most providers have a self-install that is equally painless. Watch the plugins and what not, but otherwise it’s a piece of cake.

1 Like

that’s the trick, is there an easy way to tell what is trustworthy? At the moment, I am simply based on the number of installations

I’ll be honest, I don’t install very many for fear of bringing my whole page down. So before installing, think through if you really need it, and if so, check the history of the plugin… if it’s new or hasn’t been updated in a while, you might want to steer clear of it.

yeah, this make sense

Some great options and blogs here too!

I’m writing 24 Letters on Squarespace, mostly because it’s what I’ve used in the past. For me, it’s a good place to start, although I will review options when I am up for renewal in late 2022.

1 Like