Blogging Services

I am looking to move my Wordpress blog. Right now I am trying to decide which service to use:

1. Silvrback
  2. Write.as
  3. Posthaven

Does anyone have experience with any of these services?

Thanks

2 Likes

Write.as has some lovely UIs, but is very pricey. Silvrback is new to me, but Iā€™ve marked it to check it out. They donā€™t mention if they support custom domains, or import WordPress xml files. Very reasonable pricing.

Posthaven is new to me but has been around since 2023. I like their approach, they support custom domains an import via RSS. Posthaven is reasonable, and Iā€™m considering it for an older blog I want to keep as an archived blog, but have been hand-converting from Blogger to static html.

1 Like

I used Silvrback for a while.

I does fulfill it promise as ā€˜simpleā€™ blogging platform, but my experioence suggests

• It doesnā€™t seem to get updated
  • The communication from the developer is very rare (one post so far this year. only one last year). Under the community section he refers to the youtube channel which has not been updated in 6 years
  • The feel about the place is not very modern. If you have any sense of the aesthetic that may bother you
  • There is no sense of community, as far as I can see no links to other silvrback blogs (although I seem to remember there was once!)
  • Very limited number of themes - 3 in fact

BUT

It is quick, easy to use, it is very good value.

I would also add that while the developer doesnā€™t communicate very much, he responds very quickly. I had an issue and the response time was fast!

A simple blogging platform - well as they say in the UK 'it does what it says on the tin"

I have also found this free and rather wonderful platform that enables the use of Apple notes to be used as a platform (I can hear @Bmosbacker ears pricking up! :smile: ) https://montaigne.io/

You might also want to consider blot.im which I know other members here use. I have also started to look at Framer, which is another cost effective solution.

1 Like

You can add custom domains, but I cant see anything about importing Wordpress.xml. I imagine if you email the developer they will be able to give you the definitive answer

They did indeed!!

Unknown

2 Likes

Iā€™d love to write more about this (I actually have a post drafted for my blog, which is powered by this service), but Iā€™ll add my praise for Blot. Not perfect, but it jives with my brain. I also have dropbox connected to my NAS so I have a separate backup of my blog automatically.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s also Bludit

2 Likes

I am super impressed with Scribbles.page

I am not planning to move my main blog there (I would if it could import all my posts) but I started a new blog and really am enjoying the ease of use. If I was starting from scratch today, I would go with Scribbles

This is what my blog, Unfiltered by MereCivilian on Scribbles looks like:

https://m.merecivilian.com/

2 Likes

Iā€™m fascinated by Posthavenā€¦ but it is unclear to me what their current status is.

They talk about the siteā€™s blogs ā€œstaying up foreverā€ as a notion that is central to their missionā€”an attractive ideaā€”but their own blog hasnā€™t been updated in ages, neither has their Twitter account.

Does anyone know if theyā€™re still a going concern?

1 Like

Itā€™s still a going concern. Itā€™s essentially finished so what you see isnā€™t likely to change. Thereā€™s a financial provision in the event the founders pass on.

1 Like

Okay. Thatā€™s good to hear. Thank you!

I love their concern with keeping their sites ā€œaliveā€ for as long as possible, also the fact that they offer up to 10 blogs for the price!

Getting back to the initial post, about different options, has anyone here looked into the new beta version of weblog functionality at the awesome https://home.omg.lol/ ?

Iā€™m not sure but it might be available as part of their $20/yr service, which would be an amazing bargain. They already offer a micro-status-blog as part of that price.

Also seconding the deep interest expressed above in https://scribbles.page/ which has been created by the guy who made the fine Gluon app for Micro.Blog and then later built the actual new Micro.Blog app with m.bā€™s founder. I think it has great potential!

2 Likes

Longtime wordpress user here. I understand the temptation of switching and have watched with excitement and a bit of jealousy the development of newer, nimbler platforms that harken back to when the Web was more fun.

Iā€™m just a bit leery of lock-in and portability on newer platforms. Say what you will about WP but it is stable and not going anywhere.

Here is a great article I found talking about some of the newer platforms (some but not all noted above-- would give a special shout out to Pika which a lot of people seem to like).

Starting a blog again in 2024

Hereā€™s another one on why the (old school 1.0) web is fantastic. which talks about some of these sites.

2 Likes

omg.lol subscriptions include a Weblog option, still as noted on beta. Itā€™s serviceable but not fancy, and not terribly portable/exportable.

1 Like

Definitely following this thread with interest as Iā€™m also considering a switch from WordPress to something that is just easier to use and less cluttered. Have you considered Micro.blog? I believe they can import from WordPress, but the thing I like most about it is that thereā€™s a great community aspect. That said, the problem Iā€™m encountering across the board is finding a system that is easy to use, that has the ability to Email posts to subscribers, and has a commenting system, ideally somehow integrated with the Email function (e.g an Emailed reply to a post should be a comment). I admit I kind of got spoiled with Email integration by Posterous, anyone remember that platform? Anyway, good luck with your search, Iā€™m really glad to see blogs making a comeback.

1 Like