Boxcryptor (end-to-end encryption) acquired by DropBox

Email received from Boxcryptor today…

We are hereby terminating your Boxcryptor Personal subscription in due time as of January 3, 2023. You can continue to use Boxcryptor as usual until this date but we will not offer a renewal of your license anymore.

Important: Your account will be locked on January 3, 2023. Make sure to follow our migration guide to decrypt your data before January 3, 2023.

The migration guide includes:

• Decrypting your data
  • Exporting your keys

An extension of your subscription, a renewal or change to any other plan is not available anymore. You can find more information and background in our blog.

Well I missed this part. I think my yearly just renewed. They better be offering refunds.

The date is my renewal anniversary, but I still had another year to go.

That’s something I had never thought of: that an end-to-end encrypted app might rely on my continuing subscription for my encrypted data to be available.

That’s kind of scary, actually.

1 Like

My contract with Boxcryptor expires end of 2024, but I will likely migrate already to open-source solution Cryptomator before (good blog post by them: Congratulations Boxcryptor & Dropbox! – We Are Here to Stay).

1 Like

I’ve been using cryptomator for a long time now with no issues

1 Like

Update dated 29 November 2022

What does this mean for our users and customers?

First of all: All our existing users and customers will remain with the German Secomba GmbH with the same shareholders as during the past 10 years. No contracts, customer data or keys will migrate to Dropbox, all data will remain in our German data centers.

While we’ve sold several key technology assets to Dropbox, we will continue to service our existing users and customers pursuant to the terms of their existing contracts. However, as of today, we will not allow the creation of new accounts or purchases of any new licenses.

If you’re an existing customer, you can keep using Boxcryptor as you do today, and we’ll be in touch with more details as we join forces with Dropbox. If you’re new here and would like to stay up to date on Dropbox’s progress, join the Dropbox mailing list.