Build your own Apple-I type computer

SmartyKit will soon be taking orders for their kit that lets you build your own Apple-I computer. It doesn’t look like an Apple-I, but functions like one.

https://smartykit.io/

3 Likes

It seems to be just the hardware not including the OS Apple used at the time. Also no mention of which application software is available for it, most notably a compiler.

This is Apple-I (rather than Apple ][ ), so probably just runs BASIC from ROM.

:+1:

And your project after the pseudo-Apple I will be a Babbage difference engine, I assume? Followed later by an Antikythera mechanism? Reminds me of an xkcd “my hobby is…” episode. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am waiting for the full-sized retro Commodore C64 to make it to north America. I have spent plenty of time watching Youtube videos of folks restoring and using old computers. Things like the Apple II, the Apple IIgs and old Commodore computers.

The other thing I like to do if I have 25 minutes to kill is to watch old episodes of The Computer Chronicles.

2 Likes

I’ve always been partial to the 6502 family of processors. Never owned an Apple computer before a used Beige G3, but had other 6502-based devices, VIC-20, Atari 400, I think HeathKit trainer at vo-tech school, etc.
I cut my teeth on the 1802 in my Netronics Elf-II.

Oops, this turned into a “back in my day” post.