I recently picked up an Apple TV (the device, not the service; yes, in spite of rumours that they’re launching a new one soon-eventually…) almost chiefly for the purpose of having a nice photo screensaver on our TV.
Now, I’m trying to find the best way to add a couple thousand photos from my and my wife’s Photos to a Shared Album.
Ideally, this would just mean dragging the 2,000 favourites I have to the Shared Album—but it seems that Photos is quite finicky. This workflow and every alternative I’ve tried crashes or, perhaps worse, thinks it succeeds only to result in no photos being added.
Anyone have a magic trick for this, or will I have to try to split up the adding and do it manually somehow?
Things I’ve tried:
- Dragging all photos to the Shared Album
- Selecting all photos and using Share → Add to Shared Album
- Doing the above on iPhone and iPad
- AppleScript, Automator, and Keyboard Maestro—none of these options have any awareness of Shared Albums
- Shortcuts: Find All Photos where Photo is Favorite → Add to Shared Album (Shortcuts crashes eventually)
- Shortcuts: Repeat 22 times → Find All Photos where Photo is Favorite and Album is Hold for Import (limit: 100) → Add to Shared Album → Remove Photos from Hold for Import (This seems to work for each iteration, only Shortcuts eventually crashes, and no photos are actually added to the Shared Album).
I have probably tried a few other things too—getting frazzled at this point…