Buyer Beware: Nano-Texture Softness šŸ¦

I just received my 2020 iMac with the Nano-texture display and set it up side-by-side with my current 2017 iMac.

The decreased sharpness of the nano-texture panel is ā€“insaneā€“ and I am shocked at how little you hear about thisā€¦ I have heard some people say, ā€œoh itā€™s a little bit softer when you are looking at white text on a black background but you get used to itā€, etc. But the difference is so stark that it doesnā€™t feel like itā€™s a 5K or even a 4K display.

The glare reduction is amazing, and the screen does have a ā€˜magicalā€™ look to it because of it, but the softness is potentially intolerable.

I work primarily with graphics that go to print and my display faces two big windows which honestly did present glare issues while I was working ā€“ but now the softness is its own issueā€¦

Itā€™s very difficult to take pictures of the difference with an iPhone camera so I will be taking some w/ a DSLR and adding them to this post.

Very disappointing, I might even return the iMac and get the same config without the nano-textureā€¦ Going to sleep on itā€¦

Maybe I should have known better and went to see the displays at the store first, but, you know: the virus, different lighting, different settings, etc. so I thought it would be too hard to see side by side.

For anyone thinking of getting the nano-texture, sadly: buyer beware. Definitely go see it in person first.

Here are two links to high-res photos (1/20s exposure time, f/8, ISO 100, on a tripod) I took of the full screens. Semi-empty desktops with the same wallpaper, both displays on same stock iMac color profile:

(Will continue to edit my post and add more images as I take them, just wanted to put this up there quickly ā€“ these were taken with a DSLR manually-focused to be as tack-sharp as I could get in each picture)

13 Likes

Iā€™m not sure I understand what softness means. Do you mean anti-alias?

1 Like

This is very interesting and thank you for the photos. Iā€™d like to see this in person at a store at some point.

Is it possible to get the look you want by changing reference modes? Iā€™m deeply ignorant here but I assume they would have some effect on that subpixel rendering as well as the color.

1 Like

At first when I read this I thought that you meant that since the anti-glare treatment is done by etching the glass, touching the screen was sharp.

1 Like

Oh I meant the lack of sharpness in the display. Itā€™s a result of the physical screen itself, not any kind of processing going on behind the scenesā€¦ I sit in softness agony as I type this.

I calibrated the screen when I got it, with the ā€œrealā€ calibration (hold Option when you click to calibrate to access more adjustments) but there is nothing I could do there to add any ā€˜sharpeningā€™ effects.

And I think you can only change reference modes on the ProDisplay XDR, not on the iMacā€¦

Haha! If this were the case I wouldnā€™t even be mad about the other kind of sharpness, I would think itā€™s so cool that the screen was sharp to the touch that Iā€™d just keep it and invite everyone over to show themā€¦

1 Like

The first quote sounded like nano-texture is insanely sharp, thus the confusion this has caused.

1 Like

Instead of telling the world to beware you should first determine if you got a bad display.

Because if you check out the video reviews it looks like your problems are not normal.

1 Like

Yeah itā€™s certainly something Iā€™m going to look into tomorrow with Apple, but the chances of something being wrong with the display are extremely lowā€¦

I purchased the nano-texture without seeing it in person based on both of those videos you posted, and many more ā€“ plus a bunch of articlesā€¦

Maybe youā€™re right, because I cannot understand how the softness Iā€™m seeing wouldnā€™t be mentioned in a big way by the early reviewers.

I will report back tomorrow when I hear from Apple on whether there are ways I can test it at home. If I canā€™t, I will see if I can get to an Apple store sometime in the next couple of days with it.

If it is a defect, Iā€™ll heavily edit or delete my post, if not: Iā€™m doubling down on this damn thing! :grin:

Marques especially is a straight shooter, and he doesnā€™t hesitate to ding Apple for mistakes.

And he knows monitors - he does 4K video editing regularly and owns a new Mac Pro with the new matching monitor.

1 Like

FYI AppleInsider posted a review and states itā€™s ā€œnotably less sharpā€ than glossy iMac screens

5 Likes

The Computer Clan made a video yesterday regarding the 2020 iMac and pointed out the softness.

I decided to share this topic with them.
https://twitter.com/JustinV53301959/status/1302216966640369665?s=20
They also said a bunch of stuff on Twitter, so you might want to go and check that out too.
https://twitter.com/thecomputerclan?s=20