Buying MacBook Pro

Hi,

Is just a simple question, I am the only one that when buying stuff would like to get it the next day? I hate knowing I bought the mac and have to wait … I even open the Apple store page to check the status multiple times a day…

I needed to take it out of my mind…
Sorry.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, you are not the only person. I think a lot of us (not just here in MPU) but as humans, we get excited about stuff that we like and attach to. In MPU that’s usually expensive Apple tech. So you feel attached to the product even before it arrives.

I am like that with the stuff I buy. This is why, I don’t like to stuff several items at the same time, because it can be so exhausting.

I’m doing all right for now. Next week is probably going to he harder, though, as other people start getting their new MacBook Pros while I have to wait until November.

1 Like

And the avalanche of YouTube videos

1 Like

Probably for the same reasons that people will take $10 now, rather than $100 in six months.

Having to wait also makes them “more valuable” to us and others, due to perceived scarcity.

I may have a slightly different perspective. Yes, I get excited about getting a new product especially one that I anticipate very much enjoying. However, having said that, I do believe there is benefit to practicing the virtue of delayed gratification. We don’t always need something immediately and I think there is something healthy about learning to patiently wait for something to which we look forward. In fact, looking forward to something can be part of the fun. At least it was for me at Christmas. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Acknowledged, but I personally find that just a bit sad. Don’t get me wrong, I like convenience and fast delivery as much as anyone but I also think that when we are faced with a delay we should take it in stride and learn to cultivate the virtue of delayed gratification. Again, I am not in anyway making a judgment on anyone else. I’m really making a generalized statement that I think there’s something to be said for being able to exercise patience. I guess I’ve just seen too many rude obnoxious airline passengers and others berating customer service agents and sales floor staff because they didn’t get what they wanted when they wanted it and how they wanted it. I find that behavior sad and troubling.

But, I am probably making far more of a simple post than I ought to be, which I fully admit and apologize in advance for.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Wao looking it that way I agree with you.

1 Like

I, too, think that you should face your delays like that :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, unless I’m in need of a thing right now, I find some wait (at least for tech toys) gives me time to savour the anticipation. I’m enjoying that with the Watch that I ordered when they became available :slight_smile: What I don’t like is an indefinite wait.

1 Like

There’s also added anxiety of noticing things going wrong with your current device that you are replacing.

I’m waiting for my Apple Watch and iPhone 13 mini. My iPhone X’s battery doesn’t last. Even if I charge it fully before bedtime, I wake up to 10% battery. Managing my Apple Watch Series 3’s battery has become a nuisance in the past few days. I doesn’t tick me for the past year that its happening and I adapted to it, but I’m noticing it more and more due to the long delays of shipment and arrival.

I wish to be more like you @Bmosbacker

1 Like

I agree entirely. Moreover, i know that once the new shininess arrives, it will take just a few days (give or take) untill i have normalized to it. But now that i have to wait for it, but in my mind already have it, i can enjoy that new shiny moment for much longer. The waiting is actually a pleasure, i have a bit more then a month of waiting bliss…

1 Like

Just thinking about this.
Not having the devices available on “launch” day allows the hype to have an effect for a longer period of time.
Peoples’ fantastical dreams of the devices have longer to convince them to buy.

That is certainly a different matter. Obviously, if things are not working well and need to be replaced to get our work done, then being impatient is understandable. I’m facing that on a small scale right now with my Apple Watch S4. I get through the day and end it with about 30% battery life. I’m “patiently” waiting for the S8 to be released in a year hoping that it will be more feature rich, e.g., more sensors. I’m waiting for the S8 because I don’t replace my watch as often as I do an iPad or MBP so I want the newest features to carry me for several years.

As to wishing to be more like me, I hope that is tongue in cheek! You have no idea for what you wish! Just ask my wife!! :laughing:

2 Likes

Or, to let the affect of the hype diminish so one doesn’t make an expensive, unneeded impulse buy! I’m susceptible to this impulse. To help counter it I will sometimes put an item in the cart and wait several days. I occasionally decide not to purchase the item after waiting several days.

1 Like

Yes, I think there is something to this, which is why I alluded to Christmas. As a child (heck, sometimes as an adult!) I enjoy the anticipation of a nice gift for Christmas. Men and their toys … :slightly_smiling_face:

Despite my MacBook Pro order originally saying November 5 to 10, I got a shipping notice today. :grinning:

Apple is saying “Arrives Tue Nov 02.” FedEx says “Scheduled delivery: Friday, 10/29/2021”. Either would be sooner than I expected when I placed my order.

2 Likes

This is typical with Apple. Nearly 100% of the time it’s delightful too. However, I’m in the odd situation of having to wait to order a new MBP because I’ll be travelling during the current estimated delivery window and I have to time things so that a potentially early delivery doesn’t arrive while I’m gone. Truly a first world problem :laughing:

2 Likes

Under promise, over deliver.
This is the way.

3 Likes

Yes, “this is the way.” :grinning:

I had that issue last year ordering an M1 MBA. Our academic calendar was odd last year, enabling me to spend an extended holiday season with my parents. So I waited to order until I knew I could safely have it shipped to my parents’ address instead of my own. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes