Buying new devices

No it’s the lightening port that has been slightly broken

You actually did a perfect job… said everything I would have said. Making monthly payments and always having the latest iPhone with no real additional charge seems like a good deal to me.

The only “downside” to upgrading every year was that a battery case for one phone wouldn’t fit next year’s phone… but I just stopped buying the battery case, because:

1. only keeping the phone for a year means that the battery life doesn’t degrade noticeably;
  2. the battery life is good enough that I don’t really need a battery case;
  3. a little battery pack in my laptop bag covers me if I have some unusually long day traveling or something.
2 Likes

isn’t there some device activation fee or something like that with your carrier? I was on the upgrade plan but was guilted out of upgrading because of that by some lady that I’m legally partnered with.

I just had a hands-on experience with the iPhone 11 Pro. I could do with that size. It’s only a little bit too but and thicker than the 7 but I will have to upgrade that 7 as it will be faxed out next year.

1 Like

Apple upgrade programme for me. Just about to make my final payment on my X so I am in a position to pass this phone on and get a new one whenever the fancy takes me.
TBH though it’s still that capable I have not seen a compelling reason to do so yet.

What do people do for iPads? Is there a similar Apple trade-in arrangement?

Trade-in, yes.

Upgrade program that lets you spread the payments out over time, no.

1 Like

I don’t get the trade-in program. The value is so little compared to what I could get otherwise

It can vary a lot by device. I’ve generally gotten the best trade-in values from Apple (and honestly would probably go with Apple even if they weren’t the best value — as long as they weren’t a lot less than other offers — for the sake of convenience).

But I know that others on this forum haven’t had that experience. The mileage varies a lot.

1 Like

Some people value their time/effort otherwise spent personally reselling old iPhones, some enjoy purchasing over 24 months at 0% interest, and some value easily updating to new warrantied hardware every year. Your kilometerage may vary.

1 Like

I upgrade about every 2 years and buy outright. Just got $300 Apple trade-in value for my 8+ when I bought my unlocked 11. Also buy AppleCare to cover the 2 years I own the phone.

1 Like

I buy outright and hold on to devices for as long as possible, both due to cost and to minimize waste of natural resources that go into electronics. I’m happily using an iPhone 6s currently. I bought it in 2016 and have since replaced the battery once. I hope to get another year or two out of this phone, maybe more if Apple keeps supporting it.

3 Likes

This is also a reason that I feel is important for me. The longer you keep it, the less natural resources are spent.

3 Likes

This thread is a bit old but rather than start a new one I’ll just add my most recent experience.

Bottom line, I’m impressed. I was given an estimate of $140 trade-in value for my wife’s iPhone 8 Max when I purchased her new iPhone 12 Pro Max. Today I received a refund of $210. I’m pleased. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Being an Apple customer finally “paid” off :wink:
But a good little story actually, about how money is not driving this company. Customers are

1 Like

Well, let’s not get too crazy…

2 Likes