Buying new devices

What do most people do when getting new phones? Specify in comments what you do and how often.

• Buy completely new devices without a plan
  • Buy new devices through phone company
  • Use Appleā€™s trade-in program
  • Other (please specify)

0 voters

I signed up for the Apple Upgrade Program about 2-3 years ago. Since then Iā€™ve updated the phone every year. My wife has an older phone and doesnā€™t really care about updating often (she was using an SE until I finally got her an XR).

I like being able to spread out the payments and having AppleCare included. Plus when the new phone comes out I can basically just trade in my current phone for the new phone at the same monthly price.

I realize itā€™s not the most economical choice, but truthfully I donā€™t want to have to deal with trying to sell a 2 year old phone to help pay for my new phone, so itā€™s worth it for me.

6 Likes

Buy them without a plan of any sort. I enjoy the freedom of buying when I want to. I also tend to to have very long upgrade cycles. I expect my phones to last 4 to 5 years and only upgrade when they become very sluggish or are not supported anymore.

6 Likes

Last December I bought an unlocked XS Max outright, with the more expensive version of AppleCare+ that covers loss. (I generally prefer to pay for things I can afford instead of putting things on a payment plan.) But when it comes time to buy my next iPhone, possibly next year, Iā€™ll probably switch to the Apple Upgrade Plan, and take advantage of new phones every year.

2 Likes

I usually get the iPhone on a two year plan with monthly installments that add up to the exact cost of the phone. I also am not locked into the carrier, but will naturally be required to cash out the balance for the phone if I decide to switch. I see it as a interest free loan.

2 Likes

So by a rather huge majority people buy new phones without any plan or trade-in option. What about when getting new iPads? What do you guys do?

Why do you get AppleCare+?

How does the Apple Upgrade Plan actually work? Whatā€™s the cost?

How much is the cost of the Apple Upgrade program and howā€™s it working for you?

I get a great deal through my Alma mater, itā€™s a 10 month government-type service contract $75 unlimited, that has great discounts on all hardware and services ($10 a month for hotspot and $5 monthly for cellular service for my watch). Itā€™s an absolute STEAL compared to going through Verizon alone. Makes it very, very easy to get new devices and upgrades on iPhone and a watch yearly.

1 Like

I certainly canā€™t speak for @tjluoma, but I can provide information and my own take.

The cost of the program is the full cost of the device, plus the full cost of Apple Care+, plus tax.

Except for the tax, that cost is split into 24 equal installments. You pay the tax and the first installment up front. So itā€™s essentially a 24-month loan at 0% interest.

After 12 installment payments, youā€™re eligible for an upgrade. If you upgrade, turning in the current phone cancels the current loan, and you start a new one on the same terms. But you donā€™t have to upgrade. If you like, you can keep making the payments, and after 24 payments, you own the phone outright and can do whatever you like with it.

I personally like the program for a number of reasons.

1. It allows me to upgrade every year if I want to (always a temptation for me).
  2. It keeps the cost of the phone manageable for me. At worst it matches my carrierā€™s plan. My carrierā€™s upgrade program requires a down payment on the phone, so if I only keep it for a year I save a good bit of money buying directly from Apple.
  3. Because the phone is unlocked and because I donā€™t owe my carrier anything for it, Iā€™m free to change carriers whenever I wish. (I actually like my carrier quite well and have no plans to leave, but options are good.)
1 Like

How much is it a month?

As someone said, itā€™s the total cost of the phone + AppleCare+, divided by 24 months.

Apple has lots of localized info on it for everyone ā€˜s regions in which it is offered

1 Like

It depends on the phone. The base model (64 gb) 11 Pro is $49.91. The 11 Pro Max would be more, the 11 less.

1 Like

My mom is waiting for another iOS update before joining the Upgrade Program with a 128Gb iPhone 11. In the US the base model is $35.xx/month, the upgrade to 128Gb is $2.xx/month, but the Apple trade-in value of her iPhone 7 effectively pays for the storage upgrade. She was briefly interested in the iPhone 11 Pro until she saw it would cost her around $16/month more.

1 Like

This year is the first time I used the trade-in program. Did it exist before?

1 Like

My last purchase was through Swappa. Iā€™m staying with the SE for as long as possible, or until they make another small-sized model.

1 Like

Iā€™m with you on that. My only reason for not upgrading is the size. I love the size of my iPhone 7. Itā€™s slightly slow, and I have to charge it several times a day to make it last a whole day.

Then when I want to charge it, it usually doesnā€™t anymore as something happened to the lightning portā€¦ and it will cost me ā‚¬450 to get it fixed, which is ridiculous.

But Iā€™m staying with the iPhone 7. I donā€™t like the bigger sized iPhones. I even considered ā€œupgradingā€ to an iPhone 8 just for the form factor.

Thatā€™s too much. Is that just a battery replacement?

1 Like

In our house (UK) we have very low requirements for data (especially with so much free wi-fi in the UK) so have a VERY low monthly SIM cost (Ā£7) and then we sit 2-4 cycles behind the latest iPhone and purchase from CEX (second-hand store) when we need/want to. With a brilliant two year guarantee and the chance to examine the condition of the phone before purchase along with a decent trade-in value for old phone as well. As a result I would say our annual phone costs are around 40% (at the most) of somebody with a new iPhone and SIM combination.

1 Like