CalDigit TS3, adapters, StreamDeck, ;and future-proofing

I’m finally getting sick of my cheapo Amazon “dock.” Lots of random little problems, disconnecting issues, etc. I’m looking at a CalDigit TS3.

My dock lives on the end of a KVM cable, and that means I need HDMI - where the CalDigit only has DisplayPort. I know there are cable adapters out there for HDMI to DisplayPort. Is this a very standard, problem-free conversion? Just get the adapter and I’m (theoretically, anyway) done? Or is this a scenario where there’s lots of fiddly stuff to get it to work, brands to avoid, etc.?

Similar question - has anybody plugged a StreamDeck into a TB3 dock?

Also, even if I get a TB4 Mac in the future, I should still just be able to plug this dock in and use it just fine - albeit not at the TB4 speeds…correct?

Have you ever considered using remote access to connect to your other computer(s) and ditching the KVM?

I have. It’s my Mac Mini 2018 though, and I find that semi-regularly I completely lose the ability to connect to it over the network. It’s not “crashed” or anything - the screen sharing just stops working. And it happens like clockwork every time there’s a software update available, for reasons that are inscrutable to me.

That said, my display is HDMI as well. I’d still need a cable to adapt it.

1 Like

adapter cable DP to HDMI work well. Have no problem with it. Same for TB adapters.

I would future-proof and take either a TS3+ or TS4 dock.

The TS3 has been discontinued for a while now.

1 Like

Good call. I didn’t realize there was a difference - the TS3+ looks like it has way, way more ports and good stuff. :slight_smile: Thanks!

TB4 dock is a lot of money so you definitely want to future proof it.

Caldigit is the Cadillac of dock and you will have to pay for it.

I have the Plugable TB4 and is been great. Much cleaner setup now and I can switch between my MBP and Surface Pro no issues. The only compliant I have is the TB4 port connecting to the laptop is located in the front of the dock. I would wish is the back of the dock.