CalDigit TS4 Dock

I was shopping around CalDigits site and found a page for an update to the widely loved TS3+.

It doesn’t look to be released yet, and I haven’t seen any posts about it. There aren’t any posts from news sites, CalDigit, or retailers about it that I could find.

More ports, newer port standards, higher power delivery to accessories; this sounds like a great upgrade.

Has anyone heard anything about it?

http://shop.caldigit.com/us/image/cache/catalog/Main-600x600.jpg

Not only is the TS4 the most powerful dock ever created, the dock with the most ports, the dock with the highest charging capabilities, the first dock with 2.5GbE, it is the dock that will drive us into the Thunderbolt 4 generation.
The TS4 offers a staggering 18 ports of connectivity, the most featured on any Thunderbolt dock ever.

In addition to this, the TS4 provides up to 98W power delivery, and supports resolutions up to 8K1 when connecting a single monitor.

For anyone looking to connect dual displays, the TS4 supports up to dual 6K 60Hz displays on Apple M1 Pro and M1 Max based computers. Users on Intel based Macs, Windows, or Chrome OS can connect up to dual 4K 60Hz displays2. Original M1 based Macs do not support dual displays.

Technical Specifications

3 x Thunderbolt 4 (40Gb/s)
3 x USB-C (10Gb/s)
5 x USB-A (10Gb/s)
1 x DisplayPort 1.4
1 x SD 4.0 (UHS-II)
1 x microSD 4.0 (UHS-II)
1 x 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet
1 x Front Combo Audio In/Out (3.5mm)
1 x Rear Audio Out (3.5mm)
1 x rear Audio In (3.5mm)
1 x DC In (19.5V 11.80A)

Looks nice and interesting. I’d personally keep an eye on this one. Thanks for sharing.

Great find. Had not seen this yet. Definitely get a high place on my list. Have had a TS3 ever since it came out and it has been great. Can do with the extra T4 and audio ports!

Good news, it looks like CalDigit is planning to launch the dock soon.

And all for only $1200

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

Someone over on MacRumors noticed found the Amazon product page yesterday.

There’s more photos and a video up for it.

They were able to place an order for it too at $359.95. Amazon ETA is February 16th too so maybe we’ll see this launch this week.

At the Amazon link, Amazon says

I saw, I just wanted to share the update that it was starting to look like release was imminent.

Orders are live now at the same link I posted in the original post. I’ve already ordered mine. I’ve been waiting for high refresh rate support on a dock for too long.

http://shop.caldigit.com/us/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=212

Edit: The Amazon page is now active as well.

3 Likes

This does look like a great update! Such a small but impactful thing: I wish more docks had rear 3.5mm audio in/out. If I’m docking, I likely want to use audio out for a set of speakers, and it always sucked only having the 3.5mm jack in the front.

My order is in. Let the wait begin …

1 Like

just received my shipping notification. Delivery tomorrow. :grin: :grin:

Oh wow! I got my shipping notification too, but my ETA is Monday the 14th. I hope you have some good impressions to share.

One thing I’m really curious about is the color. The TS3+ was clearly space gray, but this looks a bit lighter. Somewhere in the middle of silver and space gray.

First batch sold out. Next batch in March.

Looking forward for I hearing how you like it.

I just got mine delivered today. First expression is pretty good. Although there’s some misalignment in the front and back panel, which I fixed by loosening the screws, re-aligning, and tightening up. All ports work as expected.

Here’s a photo comparing TS 4 with the Razor Thunderbolt 4 Dock.

3 Likes

Well my dock showed up early and I spent a little time tinkering. The dock is a little larger than the TS3+. Not by much mind you, I probably wouldn’t have noticed had I not had them next to each other.

I’m also happy to report the color is effectively the same as the TS3+. I can be far too picky about matching things and I’m glad this matches. I’m very happy about the 20w support on the front for my iPad Pro. The increased power output over USB is another huge reason I wanted this.

On to functionality, I’ve reached out to support to help clarify a few things regarding high refresh rates and resolutions. One of my reasons for wanting this was to support a TB4 laptop and to use high refresh rate displays.

I’m using 2x 4K 144hz monitors and previously connecting them directly to a Dell Precision 5560 with Thunderbolt 4 using USB-C to Displayport 1.4 cables direct. Connecting these direction to the laptop has resulted in both displays running at 4K and 144hz with 8bit color (10bit at 120hz).

(I’m using a 2019 MacBook Pro as well, but I’m less worried bout the 144hz on that right now. An M1x MBP is in my future this year.)

Now I have introduced the TS4 into the equation and one display gets 4K 144hz and the other gets 4K 60hz. This is with both USB-C to DP1.4 cables connected to the TB4 ports on the dock. If I use the traditional Displayport with a standard DP1.4 cable and then one TB4 port, same result.

Now to my questions:

Now I have introduced the TS4 into the equation and one display gets 4K 144hz and the other gets 4K 60hz. This is with both USB-C to DP1.4 cables connected to the TB4 ports on the dock. If I use the traditional Displayport with a standard DP1.4 cable and then one TB4 port, same result.

Now to my questions:

Is there a way to get both displays running at 4K 144hz through the TS4?

Is there a Windows driver required for the TS4 as there was on the TS3+?

Would this work with an M1x MacBook Pro?

If there is not:

Is this a limitation of the dock?

Is this a limitation of TB4 in general where this exceeds the bandwidth of a single TB4 controller on the laptop?

Is there a Windows driver required for the TS4 as there was on the TS3+?

The dock so far is great and is a nice update from the TS3+. My only real caveat is the refresh rate hang up on dual displays.

Also, if anyone wants pictures comparing the TS3 to TS4 let me know.

1 Like

Hi, I am shopping around for a dock, but I can’t find an answer to this question and am hoping someone here can help! I’ve read that the CalDigit TS3 does not power down peripherals when the MBP is turned off but left plugged in. Has anyone noticed if the TS4 turns off peripherals in this situation?

This is a sticking point for me. (I currently have a USB hub with a power switch for each individual USB. I can see that CalDigit doesn’t have this, which is fair enough - hubs that do are hard to find! - but I don’t want any peripherals running when my MacBook is turned off.)

The reason I am shopping for a new dock is cable management. I currently have all 4 slots filled on my MBP, with: power, USB hub, external monitor and external HD. (I am also thinking that the external monitor quality might be better when it’s running via a display port cable instead of through USB? Not sure if this assumption is correct!)