Call for 2020 Wishes

Yikes! Interesting solution and I half wondered if something like this existed.

Yes yes yes! Regarding magsafe.
Tell me more about an Apple Search Engine. I am fully satisfied with DuckDuckGo. Honest inquiry.

I would add to your realistic wishlist:
Fully bake iPadOS so that I can drag widgets out on to the main floor.

See here:

I am really disappointed by DDG’s efficiency compared to Google. I end up using !g two times out of three. As soon as you start making a somewhat complex query, it completely falls apart, while Google always gives me results on the first page.

And yes to your widget wish on iPad – absolutely!

2 Likes

I understand how you feel. I’ve been using internet search since the mid 90’s but I’ve found nothing that can match Google.

Jim Cramer, CNBC, when discussing the lawsuit against Google said (as I recall) if the DOJ wants to break up Alphabet you would get healthcare, Waymo, Youtube, etc. but how do you break up Search? Give A to M to Bing?

1 Like

I don’t think you break up search. I think you separate search from the display advertising business.

My wish: I wish it was 2022.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t that be like Apple giving away iPhones so they could sell you Music & News? Or maybe Google should start charging for their services. Perhaps looking at maps would be free, but turn by turn directions would require a subscription.

Yes, I’m being a bit facetious. But having a bunch of politicians try to come up with a solution to a problem they know nothing about never ends well.

I’m making a distinction between display ads (ads that Google sells on other websites, essentially the business that grew from the acquired DoubleClick acquisition way back in the day) from search ads (ads shown on the Google site alongside their searches). Google could still run the search engine using search ads, but they couldn’t creepily use search info to have their display ads follow you everywhere on the web. Most of Google’s other services would probably go with the display ads business, so Google search wouldn’t have the incentive to privilege them above competitors’ offerings.

1 Like

Of course you are correct that there are numerous ways Google could try to monetize their services. However, there is always the possibility they could also eliminate some very popular ones in the process.

They seem to do that without any help.

2 Likes