Can anyone suggest a book tracker app that notifies when a new book in a series is published?

Building upon a discussion on this thread"

I want to find an app that not only lets me track my reading and add TBR, but also automatically notifies me when a new book in a series I am reading is released?

Is there an app that does this?

My experience has been that apps where I buy or borrow books track my reading patterns and automatically let me know in the app when a frequently read author or series is available.

1 Like

Amazon will let you follow an Author.

Might be worth. Look at Goodreads too.

3 Likes

A @geoffaire sighting! Good to see ya man!

Thank you for this suggestion. Had no idea that was an option. Assuming I don’t have the Kindle app installed anywhere, how does Amazon notify you of new books once subscribed to an author?

1 Like

Amazon emails you if you Follow an author and a new book is forthcoming/available for pre-order.

I have received notifications of second editions/paperbacks of initial hardcover releases. as well as for completely new publications.

1 Like

Yeah…I was looking for an alternative. I guess it’s too much to hope for a good book tracker app that also notifies you about new releases.

While you can surely use these trackers as suggested by @geoffaire, and in fact I do and rely on them, once notified you can purchase the book from wherever you want in case that’s your disquiet.

2 Likes

It’s not easy in computing terms to know about newly published books (e.g. which countries, what formats etc.) unless you are a major international bookseller or tried to run a database that queries all the thousands of publishers daily. There are ISBN based databases, but these are not always updated promptly, sometimes are updated early (when an ISBN is generated) and are not “open” or free for app developers to use. Same thing applies to systems for libraries.

Like the whole of the publishing industry, any solution is going to be “proprietary”, heavily protected and unwilling to share anything much for fear of losing intellectual property rights. Amazon probably have the most complete information, provide it in useable form as part of trying to sell things to you and may be the least bad option.

2 Likes