Can I run Sierra on 2018 MacBook Pro?

I currently use a 2016 MacBook Pro running Sierra (10.12.6).

Some of the software I use won’t run on High Sierra or Mojave.

I’m interested in finding out if the 2018 MacBook Pro supports dual booting into Sierra.

If so, should I have a bootable external drive or partition the internal drive? Are there instructions you trust you can point me to? (I use Time Machine and SuperDuper)

Thanks for your help.

-Dave

I don’t see why Sierra shouldn’t run in a dual boot setup on a 2018 MacBook Pro.

If you decide to dual boot I’d recommend using the onboard disk for dual booting unless you have a Thunderbolt 3 enabled external drive. The speed will likely drop too much if you use a USB 3.0 external drive.

2 Likes

Generally it’s not possible to run old operating systems on newer hardware simply because the old OS doesn’t have drivers for the new hardware.

You should be able to run it as a virtual machine in Parallels or VMWare, though.

1 Like

The machine will reject all OSes older than it. This is even down to minor revisions. I once had a Mac mini I had nuked and was trying to pave with the OS it came with but my installer was 1 minor revision older than the machine and wouldn’t install.

1 Like