As many of you know I’ve bee committed to using Apple Notes as my default note application. I like Apple Notes but I’m growing concerned about the long-term reliability of the app.
Here is why I’m concerned.
Over the last several days I’ve run into multiple issues with my iPhone 13 Pro Max. The details don’t matter but just one problem is that Siri would not work, along with other issues. When I tried to go into settings to reset the phone, that would not work either so I finally had to connect the phone to my MBP and do a complete restore to factory settings.
After getting the phone up and running again I started the process of downloading my apps, including Apple Notes. I only have 781 notes in Apple Notes. Most of those notes are text, perhaps a 100 have a PDF attached. Perhaps 10 have a picture embedded.
Notes would not initially download the notes. I closed Notes and reopened the app. I toggled off and back on Notes in iCloud. Nothing worked so I shut down the phone and restarted it. I opened Notes and it finally started downloading my notes. As I write this it is still downloading the notes—taking at least 45 minutes on a fast network to download 781 notes. By contrast, when I opened Obsidian*, iA Writer,* and Craft*, the download of my notes was dependable and fast from iCloud. That included attachments in separate folders.
This does not engender confidence in Apple Notes. I’m now second guessing my commitment to storing all of my work and personal notes in Apple Notes. What will happen when I have 3k-4,000 notes?
Am I over reacting? Should I reconsider my commitment to using the default apps for my work? Everything has bee working seamlessly and as many of you know, I struggled with settling on my note app. I’m good as far as my other productivity apps are concerned—I don’t need to change those in my workflow. Those apps include DEVONthink, Obsidian, Ulysses, Reminders, Mail, Calendar, iWork, 1PW and a few others.
What advice would you give me?
- Stick with Apple Notes, Apple is a big company and AN will always work.
- Change to another note app? If I swallow hard (and my pride) and abandon my proclaimed commitment to Apple Notes, I need to find an app that meets most of my criteria. Simply put, here is what I need in a note app:
NEEDS—in no particular order:
- iCloud sync across devices
- Ability to add PDFs, pictures, hyperlinks, and links to notes
- Ability to highlight action items in the notes and send them to my task manager—Reminders, but I’d consider moving back to Things 3 if necessary
- Ability to link emails from Apple Mail to the notes so I can click the link and go back to the message. I’m not willing to change mail apps.
- Ability to export notes to other formats, e.g., markdown, PDF, Word, etc.
- Comparable feature set and GUI on MBP and iPad
- Ability to add footnotes
PREFERENCES but not required:
- Ability to reorder notes without the need to number them
- Ability to reorder folders without the need to number them
Any advice will be appreciated. I’m frustrated that I find myself even considering a change.
* I have used these apps (still using Obsidian) so I have a lot of original notes in them (Obsidian has thousands of notes) that were not moved to Apple Notes.