Can this be done with Keyboard Maestro?

I’m trying to figure out how to do the following:
Every time a file is added to an Articles folder on my Mac desktop, drag the file into Zotero (my citation manager) so that it’s added. Zotero doesn’t seem to have an option to watch folders. If I don’t add the file quickly, this folder tends to become a black hole on articles I never read.

Might the be possible to do with Keyboard Maestro?
Thank you!

I think Hazel would be a more appropriate tool for such file actions.

3 Likes

Someone described using Hazel with Zotero in an older thread:

2 Likes

Don’t have Zotero, but if all you need to do is open the file in Zotero to import it, try to modify this idea from the KM forum.

1 Like

Yes, absolutely. The KM method is less user-friendly than Hazel, but totally works. Your trigger is under FOLDER:
CleanShot 2020-06-13 at 07.10.57

Then I run For statement, which will be applied to every item in that folder (including any files that previously existed prior to the new file being added).

CleanShot 2020-06-13 at 07.12.11

I run an if statement on each item before deciding whether to move the file to a different folder. but you wouldn’t have to. Just know that in this For Each statement above, the variable name of each file is the variable “Path,” so in the Move File action, that’s what I call as the variable.

CleanShot 2020-06-13 at 07.14.11

Let me know if you have any questions!
Rich

3 Likes

There is an advantage for a KM user who isn’t really using Hazel - which would be me:

You can get rid of Hazel and use the automation capabilities you’re already familiar with. It’s just the trigger that’s novel.