Canva acquires Affinity apps

Not really happy with the current software development. And not optimistic. If I just enjoy the moment to make something which is not locked in or ongoing editions is needed, it’s fine. Something like Evernote which has its locked databases which is nono.

Because at first they ask you to pay for a product, or pay again when there is a new version. This is fine. However, they can change the price model to subscription but that doesn’t end here: plans change or sharp increase in yearly price. Never end! VSCO/Notability is one of these examples.

I remember Affinity v1 lasted for up to eight years. Maybe v2 will last much shorter. They just said v2.5 but don’t further guarantee anything.

While I believe v3 will be subscriptions, it should be as expensive as Adobe because Adobe is too expensive. This cheaper subscription will still be competitive to attract newcomers and existing customers to choose.

If subscriptions can’t be avoided, I expect good customer service, almost bug free, good stable cloud sync and don’t make it as an online-only tool!!! Nowadays many subscriptions are without services and too buggy.

It’s an interesting acquisition. I don’t really like Canva. Canva is basically filling in a gap that Microsoft created by not figuring out how to bring WordArt to the web. I understand there are smart and creative people at Canva but they have to sublimate themselves to that strong product/service vision. I see a culture misfit between them and Serif that would only harm Serif’s apps if it can’t be managed.

1 Like

Sad news, indeed. While I maintain a full Adobe subscription for my design work, I’ve purchased Affinity’s tools in the hope that they would grow into a serious Adobe competitor — something that is sorely needed. Their stated commitments seemed like they were on track to do just that, but selling to Canva means that they’ve given away their control.

I had never made the switch to using Affinity’s suite because the productivity hit was too large to justify (in my circumstances). I had been planning on moving one of my longstanding design projects this summer, and I was excited about it. But with the uncertainty of Affinity’s future, it’s no longer a good use of my time.

It will be interesting to see where this ends up in 5 years. I’ll be watching from the sidelines.

1 Like

I own all of the Affinity apps (v1 and v2) but really only ever used Affinity Photo. It is good software with capabilities way beyond my abilities, but I have stopped using it and returned to Lightroom Classic where I can accomplish most of what I need working on raw .NEF images.

Despite their jump in version 2 to more of a non-destructive raw editing model, Affinity Photo has always seemed to push me out of their bare bones Develop module (raw editing) as quickly as possible for the comparative richness of the RGB pixel editing of their Photo module. It’s as if Adobe were to push me to leave Lightroom as quickly as possible to do the majority of my processing in Photoshop. But I rarely need Photoshop (RGB pixel editing) for anything.

I’ve regretted it because I believed when they said, getting the new version would provide them with the resources they needed to improve their suite in the foreseeable future. V1 has everything I need and I can wait for a few months for V2 but decided to support them.

I made money from using Affinity for the last 6 years, so it’s important to move to somewhere stable (I’d hate to say this but I’d rather go back to the industry standard, Adobe which I had two decades of experience). Eventually, the Affinity that we know now will evolve into what Canva envision for Affinity. Their loyal users are no longer their concern but the bottom line of Canva’s venture capitalists who want to make sure their valuation goes even higher. I don’t want to keep using a software that will not aligned with what I believed when I moved to Affinity. It’s not just the price, but their mantra of “made by creatives, for creatives”.

This will absolutely happen. Just a matter of time. Is there no safe haven from this scourge? I was just about to buy the suite, too. Glad I didn’t waste the time and money.

I need advice. This may surprise many on this forum, but I dislike subscriptions. As a matter of financial stewardship, I don’t rent my house, I don’t rent (lease) my vehicles, and I only subscribe to apps and services when I don’t have options, e.g., Apple One for storage. :slightly_smiling_face: With that in mind, I need to plan to replace Affinity. My use case is “prosumer.” Most of my work is related to editing RAW photos. I’ll not use Adobe, and I will delete Affinity if they go to subscription.

Pixelmator Pro may be sufficient for my needs and, as far as I can tell, does not require a subscription.

1. Am I correct that Pixelmator Pro does not require a subscription?
  2. Does anyone have other recommendations to replace Affinity if needed?
2 Likes

Yes. I use pixelmator pro and so far, it’s been fine for all except the most complicated modifications I want to make.

Thank you. Am I correct in that it does not require a subscription?

You may also want to take a look at Acorn Acorn 7 | Full Featured Photo Editor for the Mac

Not sure how it compares to PixelmatorPro.

Thanks, I’m not familiar with Acorn. I’ll take a look.

I’ve never paid one. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

They have only one-time purchase for Pixelmator Pro. For the company, only Photomator has subscription while you can still choose to buy.

1 Like

Pixelmator Pro is great. I don’t think you need to worry about this at all, though.

I think at some point, we have to accept the reality…if software development is to survive, it will eventually go subscription and if not, it has to charge expensive one-time fees, that’s just the reality.

I hate subscriptions, but it’s just the new devil that has to be tamed at this point. If you really think about it, anytime we upgrade our iPhones…Apple has really created a ‘subscription model’ with their iPhone, the upgrade every year program.

Playfully speaking, you could argue that Electric, Water, and Gas are ‘forced subscriptions’ LOOOOOL

2 Likes

You kept that quiet!

Yes. But it’s not a RAW editor - it’s more akin to Photoshop than anything else - but that may be fine for you.

Apps I’ve looked at and like:

ACDSee - very functional, easy to use, inexpensive
Capture One - excellent but expensive, probably overkill
DXO - excellent, not as expensive as C1 but also possibly overkill.
Raw Power - from the guy who used to responsible for Aperture. Good functionality, integrates with Apple Photos if that’s any help and also runs standalone.
At the moment, I’m using Photo Mechanic Plus for cataloguing and Capture One for editing.

Apps I haven’t used in anger, but may be worth a look
On1 - it’s a bit Marmite (people love it or hate it) but it’s not expensive and does a lot. Big on AI (which is also Marmite!)
Nitro - new app from the Raw Power folks. I’m excited about this and about to give it a go because it pushes many of my buttons.

Hope that helps

5 Likes

I suppose it could be worse. Bending Spoons could have acquired Serif instead. /s

2 Likes

@ThatGuy That is a big help. Now I have some homework to do! :slightly_smiling_face: Thanks!

I think at some point, we have to accept the reality…

If Steve Jobs can have a reality distortion field, so can I! :rofl:

Playfully speaking, you could argue that Electric, Water, and Gas are ‘forced subscriptions’

Fair enough, but I don’t have to like it. :slightly_smiling_face:

In all seriousness, I acknowledge that there are some subscriptions I cannot avoid. I accept that but dislike being held captive to recurring payments to do my work. While I may only be able to avoid some subscriptions, I’m willing to deal with less-than-optimal applications and workflows and contend with frustration to minimize them. But, like everyone else, there are unavoidable subscriptions of various types that I have to accept begrudgingly.

I hate subscriptions, but it’s just the new devil

I was rather hoping you could perform an exorcism! Said with respect and good humor! :rofl:

2 Likes

Just a thought. The software ecosystem is constantly moving and evolving, and there’s absolutely nothing about Affinity’s current software that changes when it goes to subscription.

I would get every free update you’re entitled to from V2, use it until it doesn’t work anymore (which will likely be several years beyond the day it goes subscription), and keep the occasional eye out for “the new hotness” in the space.

I would predict that by the time Affinity moves to subscription and your current software no longer works, the players in the game will be significantly different.

Subscription avoidance for you seems to be about being responsible with your money, and there’s nothing more fiscally responsible than “using what’s already paid for.” :slight_smile:

5 Likes