"Capacities: A Studio for Your Mind"

A new one

Very Craft-like interface, with a touch of Tana thrown in in the way Capacities sets up templates. There are “Pro” features mentioned but apparently not yet released. Documentation is slim, but anyone who has kept up with note-making trends will know what to do.

Desktop app available.

I suspect this might have had another name at some point. Anyway, I like it – and would probably prefer it over Craft if Craft wasn’t part of SetApp. But neither Craft or Capacities will replace Obsidian for me.

Katie

6 Likes

I saw this app last year, and really liked it. The way all of it works is exactly what I want out of “Daily Notes” PKM. They have different categories, or silos, and they all funnel into dates. So when I go back and look at, Dec 14, 2021, I could see all the individual items I’ve saved across my “buckets” on that day in one location. This is a view I’d love to have in Notion, but only possible if you have a single master database (which is annoyingly hard to maintain).

Anyway, I’d love to use this app, but I’m uncertain of it’s future, and there is no mobile app, which I could workaround but I’d rather not have to. :blush:

1 Like

The developers release updates quickly and also have a very nice roadmap. It’s definitely one to keep an eye on.

1 Like

I’m trying this one right right now and it is what I wanted Craft to be when it came out.

1 Like

Can you say more about this? Not clear what you are actually describing. I often tack on a couple of topic headings at the end of a Daily Note to collect notes on that topic for that day. I’ve always wanted an easy way to collect those Topic Notes into their own files so they aren’t just buried in the Daily Notes.

I’ll hop in if that’s ok as I just spent a couple of hours reading the documentation.

Your daily pages are objects, the type of of object is daily page. You will always find your daily pages inside the daily page database and inside your calendar.

All pages have this basic units which are blocks (like craft), you can tag a specific block with “topic note” and only that block will show when you search for that tag in your tags database.

Here you can find more information in a blog post (not mine): Capacities: How to Organize Your Knowledge with Links, Databases, Collections, and Tags

2 Likes

YAEA (Yet Another Electron App).

2 Likes

That :slightly_smiling_face: and also that it’s the kind of app whose primary data store is on their own servers (no matter how easy it to back up or export) that makes it a non-starter for for me. Gotta have data primarily stored on my own Mac, preferably in a non-proprietary format. I know this limits an app’s design, but that is what I require for my note and task management.

4 Likes

And it still works great. I feared electron apps but have found that every time I need to access information outside of the apple ecosystem, in general native apple apps don’t offer that solution (craft is an exception of course). Another electron app I enjoy using is 1password. Amplenote has a nice post in their documentation regarding the difference between native and electron apps.

1 Like

Here is their documentation regarding encryption and data protection..

Kind of similar to workflowy, craft and notion I guess.

1 Like

Thank you for the links. Obviously the devs have given some thought to this.

2 Likes

No problem, and I agree it’s not the perfect solution :frowning:

I have been using the macOS and iOS Testflight app for about a month now and can say that I am incredibly impressed, particularly given the size of the team and the fact that it’s only been around for a year or so.

Highlights:

• Block-based approach of Craft + database approach of Notion.
  • The team is incredibly engaged on Discord/Canny.
  • Very transparent about their roadmap on both their website and in Canny.
  • Releases updates at breakneck speed (~ 2-wks)
  • Focused on the PKM needs of individuals
3 Likes

Hey, welcome to the community! I plan to subscribe the following month to check out the apps. In the meantime I added them to my homepage with my iPhone, which has been working great.

I’ve created an account to kick the tyres.

As a long-term paying Obsidian customer, this is the first alternative option I’ve seen which actually does something useful (for me) that I can’t (easily) do in Obsidian.

I really like Capacities approach to defining everything as objects & types, and the fact that it supports the concept of people.

Also, even as a relatively early beta, the product & documentation smack of thoughtfulness.

Capacities still has a way to go, and Obsidian has enough advantages (for now) that I’m staying put, but I’ll keeping my eye on Capacities development.

3 Likes

Side note: why does every app developer’s website have that same look currently :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Many (including this one) are being styled with Tailwind CSS without changing many defaults.

2 Likes

Yes, I’d say that the best looking app is Craft but I can only see it as a document creator and organizer.

I just found capacities.io and I like the look. However, it doesn’t seem to support global search with Spotlight whereas Craft and Obsidian do. I like that Obsidian is indexable by DEVONThink since it stores files in plaintext. Does anyone know if global search is on the Capacities.io roadmap?