CARROT weather bug? Where did 2am go?

Here’s a weird one. For some reason, today, CARROT isn’t showing 2am:

I kid. This is actually a glitch in societal governance: Daylight Savings Time should be abolished…

3 Likes

Clock changes? 20 chars

Oh <expletive>; that’s tomorrow.
So annoying.

history of life disruption

3 Likes

The good news is that they’ll fix this bug in about 6 months or so and you’ll regain the hour, but the problem always seems to come back like clockwork.

3 Likes

I’ve always thought it would be a useful Encyclopedia Brown mystery ingredient - have a character claim that something occurred at 2:45 AM on the morning of “spring forward”.

Although because the time change is always made in local time, it has the interesting side effect that it’s actually the same time in adjacent US time zones for one hour, twice a year. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Years ago there was a music store that had a “sale that never was” in the Fall, from 2AM to 2AM. It was a very good sale and there were so many people they had to close the doors because of public safety.

4 Likes

4 Likes

my favorite book series of all time.

I believe British Columbia will stay on DST as soon as (if) the three Pacific time west coast states do it. I really would like to see permanent DST, ‘cause the sun going down at 3:45PM is just depressing

3 Likes

Fun side effect of daylight savings: If you create a calendar event (in Fantastical, at least) where the duration of the event runs across 2am on daylight savings day, it reduces the duration of the event by one hour.

This is a bit odd because sometimes the duration matters more than the time, such as when you’re using a calendar event to help track coverage/dosing time of anti-fever medicine (as I was when I discovered this behaviour).

1 Like

In the ‘80s I worked for a company headquartered in Indianapolis. We observed Daylight Saving Time, they didn’t. It guaranteed a few missed calls and meetings two weeks each year.

Arizona does not observe DST. And some years ago we visited and planned an excursion into Canyon de Chelly. To go into the canyon proper you need a Native American guide, as it is on Navajo land. And we arranged to meet at 1 PM for our tour.

We did not realize that the Navajo Nation did observe DST. Fortunately we had planned to arrive an hour early so we could stop somewhere for lunch. We were very hungry come dinner time.

1 Like

Do you know of any states pushing to make standard time permanent?
I think some will have to change schedules (like when schools start) if they keep daylight saving time in the winter.

For the record, I have never been a fan of changing clocks to give us more sunlight. :slightly_smiling_face:

According to the NPR article: Alabama, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming

Sorry, that’s not how I read the article. All the states listed apparently want daylight saving time rather than standard time. Even my home state of Minnesota.

Actually, I misread your question :flushed:

California, Oregon, and Washington are (I believe) looking to make DST permanent. One of the things that worries me about the call to abolish time change is that many people who actually prefer DST (I am one) will call for an end to DST because to them it’s synonymous with changing the clocks.

1 Like

The U.S. federal government prohibits permanent Daylight Saving Time but any of the United States can switch to permanent Standard Time without needing permission beyond their own legislature. I have to admit I prefer standard time. I was happy to find that I am not alone. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like