Cat 5e, 6 or 6a for home Ethernet?

I forgot the old networking rule about how many switches were safe to run downstream and likely for good reason as my class was 2 decades ago and certainly doesn’t apply to modern networks that can be VLAN’d up well.

I have a 5e drop to every room and Bonus room. I need Cat 6 drops to behind the TV, a drop to the garage and one near the Main Service Panel in case my HOA ever stops sandbagging about letting us have Solar.

I have a small window of time between freezing attics and attics that feel like the depths of Hades. The drops should be easy I have my Magnepull in Case and ready for action.

Eventually I want to tinker with Cleerline fiber

I was thinking about running 1 and 2.5 Gb network but I may buy a couple of Mac mini M2 and upgrade to 10gb Ethernet on them.

Me, I’m a “Wire if at all possible” I’ve had far less issues with wired connections and frankly Wifi has gotten so expensive. Mesh 6e and 7 systems over a grand???

And as you’ve said it’s half duplex and has collision issues.

1 Like

If I were building, I would run cables BUT I would make sure that they’re run though conduit, which would make the actual choice of cable much less important because they could be upgraded relatively easily (but not so easily that it could be done on a whim).

There’s a reason that I said that’s what I’d do rather than recommending it absolutely, but I think it’s worth looking into. (The only residential build that I have experience with was a friend’s house (network admin, when I was still in networks) and he had some conduit runs done. There was cost involved but it wasn’t insane.)

Back when I was still doing networking, I’d only seen the sadness and regret that followed from not having taken network upgrades into account during construction, so I’m probably biased :slight_smile:

But your point is well taken: Cost it out and decide if it’s worth it.

It normally adds around 300€ - max. 1000€ (Material and Labor Costs) for an average Single-Household-House with 3 stories.
Compared with only the labor costs you will have later, to get a new wiring into the house, it is absolutely a no-brainer, to add the conduit while building or renovating the house.
But, yes you have to do it right, and place “Pull-Boxes” into the corners, or use a hard-material conduit, with a sufficient bending radius.

2 Likes

With the price of this house, it’s a drop in the bucket, believe me. :sunglasses: It’s our retirement house, so I’m willing to pull out a few stops and stretch, so I’ve told our designer to make Ethernet happen. We’ve just started framing, so it’s a good time to factor Ethernet cables into the electrical tasks. I’ve been working at home in some form or another since March 2020, and I expect to continue doing that for the next 20-25 years, so the Ethernet addition will be important for the office spaces, TVs, etc.

Can you talk to my wife about her closet and dressing room please? She won’t listen to me. :sweat_smile:

1 Like