Catalina upgrade vs Epson Stylus Photo 1290

My dad’s 2019 MacBook Air, running Mojave out of the box, had a habit of going black screen. I researched this, found that a reboot was a temporary fix and mentioned that there would probably be a software update later that would fix it.
He then saw an update and went and installed that on his own. Now a whole bunch of things are broken because of 32 bit apps no longer working. The one I’m struggling with is the Epson Stylus Photo 1290 printer - currently running via 32 bit Epson software. Does anyone else have a printer this old (old enough to have a bachelor’s degree if it was a person) working via Catalina, with or without extra driver software from Epson?

Epson hasn’t updated the driver for that printer in 5-6 years. Epson claims they “will provide macOS 10.15 Catalina drivers and software for Epson products on an on-going basis” whatever that means. If it’s not a 64-bit driver you may be out of luck - I don’t know of any 3rd-party 64-bit drivers for that 15 yo printer.

I know someone who had an outdated film scanner he had to network to a cheap older laptop (don’t remember if it was Mac or Windows) and use as a network device. Not sure if that alternative is worth it, especially as current-gen photo printers are better, faster and cheap (if you don’t consider the consumables). And if he doesn’t need a photo printer the options are cheaper and faster still.