Choosing a Note Taking App (I know, another note taking post!)

I know this has been posted here before, but I believe the tool has been updated at least a bit since the last post. I know it now shows Craft as supporting Daily Notes, for example.

https://www.noteapps.info/features

That link takes you to a page where you can select features you’re looking for in a notes app and as you’re making your selections, it starts to reduce the notes apps that display on the page, narrowing it down to your selection.

In the top-right corner there is also a “Comparison” link you can click on that is also helpful. The note taking space is bloated right now, and there is a lot of bouncing around going on while apps come onto the market and features are added. But, this may help provide clarity for some who may have missed the previous post(s) about this. Just want to resurface it and say that for me, it seemed quite accurate.

6 Likes

Others may have hit their limit, but I like reading note taking posts and the opinions expressed in them. I want to keep up on the latest note taking trends.

… Although the linked website does not mention Agenda or Noteplan. And other favorites are probably missing. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I don’t think this is a good way to pick an app. This is why apps like Microsoft Word win, they check every box on a feature list, which leads to a bad, bloated app.

1 Like

This is a neat idea. But that strikes me as a very small number of apps in their universe, compared to the number out there. I immediately see at least two that I use a lot that aren’t on there.

And I think that’s the challenge of these kinds of tools – it’s very hard to keep them up to date

Previous discussion about an alternative comparison:

although the central link in the post seems to be dead. edit: maybe not. It works sometimes for me.

My personal advice on this front is to make your own chart.

All too often, there’re nuances that matter more to you than the top-level features caught by this kind of blog post. Think about what those requirements are, make a table, and then go find your options and sort it out.

2 Likes

Can you recommend any good apps for making a chart to find a good note taking app? :joy::joy::joy::joy:

12 Likes

I don’t think this is feasible for someone to just logon and select an app within a few minutes, but for some it can be helpful.

I really like and use Evernote, but I’ve considered a switch to Apple Notes and more recently, Nimbus. After doing some more research I think I’m holding tight with Evernote, and the posted link confirms my choice. One thing it helped me highlight - export in Nimbus is only PDF or HTML; and that HTML is suspect after doing some further reading elsewhere.

It’s cool to play around with the filters and seeing where an app you thought would work suddenly drops off because a must have feature you selected bailed off the list. All the apps I was considering are here but yes - YMMV.

First, you need a good task manager app to …

6 Likes

:rofl:

Well played. Well played, indeed.

:rofl:

My best combo right now is Curio with Devonthink.

3 Likes

I think I’ve settled on staying w Evernote for storing things. Receipts, one off scans, letters, instruction manuals,miscellaneous etc.

Email to Evernote, clipper, tags, notebooks - it’s 100% how I work and so ubiquitous.

Then for those bursts of inspiration or wanting to jot down thoughts, I just use iCloud sync and free Obsidian to let my brain go crazy.

and for some Microsoft Word is the best option? There is no perfect way to pick and app but if you need a certain feature making sure it has it is fine.

2 Likes

The longer I’m in the space the more I get around this view:)

5 Likes

Here is a thoughtful YouTube commentary on this meme by Keep Productive.

4 Likes

Apple Notes is fantastic, but there are a few things that keep me from switching to it. I have switched to it, and loved it, but I keep coming back to Evernote. I know, if it were possible you would all be throwing digital tomatoes at me. :grin:

When I’ve used Apple Notes I’ve enjoyed it, but there are a few things that pull me back into the ears of the elephant:

• Apple has no note versioning. If I accidentally delete a part of an important note or if something gets lost in a shuffle somewhere, I’d have no way to revert my note to an earlier time. Granted, this has maybe only ever happened to me once or twice in years, but it’s still a consideration
  • I’m working from home right now so my Mac is always within arms reach which makes Notes easy to access. If I do go back to the office at some point and I want to save something to Notes from work, I’d be on the web interface of Apple Notes which isn’t fun to use.
  • I know exports are possible, but getting data out of Apple Notes isn’t super easy, and some formatting may be lost along the way. With Evernote, I can export via .enex which I know gets a lot of grief but it’s always worked well for me.
  • I can’t email into Apple Notes or Clip web pages. It saves the URL sure, but the web clipper in Evernote makes Evernote ubiquitous, and no matter where I am or what OS I’m using, I can throw things into my digital file cabinet without even thinking about it

I’m going to quote David Sparks from the show last week. I think it’s a great app and I’m jealous that other people can use it for their daily driver, but I need just a bit more.

3 Likes

I like my version better.

6 Likes

This is the important point. What’s interesting to me is that when I picked out the most important things I want the only app that survived was Obsidian. Ad I do feel like I’ve finally come home after struggling for years with other choices.

4 Likes

At last I feel seen 🫠

1 Like

Sure, the point is of course, decide for one thing and git gud.

2 Likes

The “Formatting Supported” section of the chart should just have RTF as an option, the absence of which is the most common deal killer for me. I’m not interested in the very popular Markdown format.

I’m currently using Apple Notes though is isn’t great on Windows, where it seems to work best in Firefox.