Chronosync and Zip Files

I can’t find the answer to this on the Chronosync website so wondered if anyone else knew.

It appears that Chronosync enters ZIP files to sync, as it’s taking forever to do a scan on a filesystem for me - I’d moved all the files in to a ZIP file to start with, as Windows and Linux ran in to issues syncing the large numbers of files stored, until I zipped them.

Any ideas if it would enter these if I made them DMG files? The files don’t change in them, but I want it to just scan the zip file as a whole, not every file inside it which seems to be happening.

Probably best to ask the folks at Chronosync Support… they are usually quick to reply. When you get feedback, please report here as this behaviour does indeed sound odd (to be unzipping to sync) without apparently a setting to instruct Chronosync to do that.

What happens with a password-protected zip?

I’ve been using Chronosync personally and at work for many years and have never had a problem with zip files. I can think of no reason that a copy program would need to open a zip file. I’ve only seen that behavior from anti-virus. My first guess is you may have a conflict with another program that is running on your Mac.

However, some years ago we ran into a performance problem with one of our servers.
Turns out that Windows, Linux, and Mac computers have issues with directories containing many thousands of files. (In our case we had tens of thousands) In order to get the performance we needed we had to move to a database solution.

Knowing Chronosync, which has a dizzying number of options, there may be an option to look inside zip files when comparing them.

1 Like

I had a quick Look and was wondering if it was the package file option.

It’s not undoing the zipped file, but it looks like it’s entering the zip file to check the directory structure of it if that makes sense? When checking the progress, I saw a lot of Linux file paths, and it was going through my Linux backup zip file.

I’ll have a play this weekend - this was via SFTP so it was slow to scan to start with - analysing a home folder backup of Linux made it even slower! I may archive it and take it out of the backup regime, which should speed it up.

EDIT: Reading that article in depth, I think that’s the potential setting, and I’ll try the dissect option, which should prevent navigating package files (assuming that it’s considering a zip file as a package file).

May have to consider looking at the DMG backup option - but as this is an offsite backup I’m trying to copy my NAS to an external drive offsite, I might just look at a couple of USB sticks and rotate them when I get to work.

If you are doing this sync over SFTP, then your network connection becomes a factor and to a lesser extent so does the overhead to encrypt the data.

Let us know if you figure this out. Good luck

I got a massive performance boost (went from hours to minutes) when I got ChronoAgent to use with Chronosync. It basically bypasses the network file system overhead by piping the data between the computers.

I had used Chronosync for years before I discovered how much ChronoAgent improves things.

3 Likes

I only had the opportunity to use chronoagent twice on users Macs and it did make a big difference.

Most of the time I used Chronosync to sync files to local attached storage or to Windows servers

I’ve looked in Chronosync “Help” file and see no mention of special handling of zip file internals. You didn’t find anything on the web site. Have you heard anything from Chronosync Technical Support? (See Menu: Tech Support …)?

Can you also provide here a screen shot which shows how you conclude that the zip files are being opened?

Can’t get a screenshot of it as not at my desk at the minute but it was backing up my backup folder and the real time progress bar/window was showing it looking at bin and lib folders - folders that only appear in my zip folder of my Linux backups.

Chronoagent isn’t an option in this case unfortunately as the backup is from my NAS (and will probably be blocked by the firewall - however I am surprised that Port 22 is option in fairness!)

Speed wise, I’ve used Freefilesync in the past and that’s done a good job. Transfer speeds weren’t great but scanning finished quickly (unlike Chronosync, it scans then copies) I was just investigating the extra features that Chronosync brings to the table.

Are you absolutely sure the files are in a zip file at the Chronosync source target location?

If it is a zip file you really need to get Chronosync to confirm this behaviour.

Differently - I don’t think either Windows or Synology have changed the compress command to anything fancy (and uses the .zip extension).

I’ll drop them an email.