Claris Pro - Future of Mac Automation and Low-Code Winner?

It just looks like a free trial to me.

Coming soon: A free version of the new Claris platform!

Interested in trying out the Claris platform? Sign up to be notified when we launch a free user license. Here’s your opportunity to explore the complete platform and prototype apps rapidly to address critical business needs.

I’m on the fingers crossed side. A free trial would mean some kind of time limitation.
They have clearly worded this to be feature limited instead. I’m expecting collaboration/enterprise tools to be disabled so that it becomes a free license for individuals.

The Claris Community post said to sign up to get notification when the freemium version is finally released… Patience, young Jedi.

Yeah, that is my understanding as well. The free edition would be limited in that it only works on your local machine. No cloud, no sharing, no syncing, etc. So, if you have a personal project in which only you use it on your one device, then the free edition will give you everything you need. Of course, whether they follow through on that or not remains to be seen.

It would have to be usable on the web to be meaningful; otherwise there would be no way to test/develop the majority of Claris features.

I believe they will not allow anonymous cloud use on a free plan but it will be cloud-capable if you login with your credentials.

From the “Better Late Than Never” department …

I had signed up for email notifications and this arrived today:

The link:

https://store.claris.com/claris-connect/free

1 Like

Thanks for posting.

There is still not a freemium version of FilemakerPro. Version 2023 - Single user: $594 USD; Upgrade: $356 USD. I have version 19 but didn’t upgrade to 2023 version. I did sign up for free Claris Connect just to test it out.

I think it is too little, too late for Claris. Moreover I continue to get the vibes that they are truly interested in enterprise customers, not individual users.

I am impressed with Panorama X server. I think it is a better option for most of us on MPU.

1 Like

+1

Panorama X is where I would go if I had database needs that could not be met by Numbers and Notenik. Panorama is a cool product in the way that it is developed, documented, and presented.

My goto has been Ninox. PanX has no ios companion. Ninox also works on Android. I’ve found it to be more than enough for my needs. I started out with PanX but needed data on the move. Plus Ninox has been a one-off payment, not a monthly cost like panx.

2 Likes

Those are compelling reasons. I’ll take a look.

It is not clear that this is not a monthly payment, albeit billed annually. It does not appear to be a one time payment.

Perhaps I am missing something?

1 Like

It certainly looks like Ninox is charged by the month. And it looks my application and data would be kept in their public cloud, which would explain the ongoing subscription cost.

Indeed - Ninox is a web app with a monthly fee.

In the bigger sense, we are now discussing local database apps with cloud support (Filemaker/Panorama X) vs pure web app low-code systems.

I love low-code systems and have tried quite a few. That is a whole different topic for discussion. But they are a very different genre - in part because your data stays in the cloud and in part because if the company fold then you are totally stuck and cannot even access your data locally. You are really betting the farm on the company if you go with a web app low-code system.

That said - it would be quite interesting to discuss the benefits of various low code systems. Among those I like are Retool, DronaHQ, and Bubble. There are so many more as well. But again they are very different from Filemaker/Panorama X in terms of how you are tied to their success.

1 Like

I purchased the mac app for a one time fee. I purchased the ios app for a one time fee and my databases sync via icloud. I’m not paying any monthly or annual charges.

Ninox has two product lines which is not obvious from their website. The standalone Ninox app stores files either locally or on iCloud. I believe it’s only available from the Mac App Store. The standalone Ninox is a one time payment of $38.99.

3 Likes

Curiously, on the Mac App Store there is no pricing information, just a “Get” option. No indication of in app purchases.

Thank you - that changes things notably