Cleaning Up 1Password Logins I Don't Use Anymore and Credit Card Naming

Hi all, it’s been a bit. I still have 1Password version 6. I will probably upgrade soon to version 7. Currently, I have about 380 or so logins within 1P. Thank goodness for the app, honestly the best app I use regularly. So my post is 2 questions:

1. I have a lot of logins. Many of them I haven’t used in more then a year. Do I keep all those passwords/logins? Curious about what others do in this case, thoughts?
  2. Within 1Password I have my Credit Cards with the info. I have them labeled such as 2gdismore’s Mastercard, etc. The thing is though for example the Mastercard is a Mastercard AA Advantage or something. For people with multiple Credit Cards do you label them more specifically to easier identify what they are used for what?

I just use a name that identifies the the card for me such as Apple Card or Amtrak MasterCard. I only have 3 credit cards and one debit card so easy to keep track of.

Rarely delete old entries for the reasons others have mentioned. I have about 500 logins. Some I could delete like old utility company accounts for where I used to live. Might do that sometime since it’s unlikely that I will ever move back.

1 Like

I have set up a separate vault named Archive and move those logins to there. In Settings —> Vaults I have set All Vaults to exclude the accounts in Archive. This means that these accounts do not show up in everyday use/searches in 1Password, but are still there if I need them. Where appropriate, I delete the account before archiving the login details.

6 Likes

As of now, I have 753 items in 1Password (not all of them are logins). I only do delete items when I have deleted the account in the “real world” or if the service has ceased to exist. That leads to funny moments. Several days ago, I tried to login into an online shop I had not ordered anything from for several years. They deleted my account due to my inactivity (in accordance with GDPR regulations). So, I created a new one with my old 1Password data. :wink:

When I delete an item, I still leave it in the trash. Last year, I migrated my vault from 1Password.com to 1Password.eu. I deleted all my items that had been sitting in my trash back then.

1. Within 1Password I have my Credit Cards with the info. I have them labeled such as 2gdismore’s Mastercard, etc. The thing is though for example the Mastercard is a Mastercard AA Advantage or something. For people with multiple Credit Cards do you label them more specifically to easier identify what they are used for what?

Yes. I name them TYPE BANK NAME USE CASE.

TYPE = VISA / Mastercard
BANK NAME = name of the bank that issued the card
USE CASE = business, if for business use or “blank” (as in nothing) if it is for my personal use

I too use a separate archive vault, though I hadn’t thought of excluding it from “all vaults.” That’s a good idea.
And I just noticed that I have almost 500 items in my active vault, so it’s probably time to archive some more…

1 Like

since u have so many logins as do I in 1p6 I would like to ask you a diff question… what I am noticing is that when in 1p at top when I start to type in name of a site…it used to find that login very quickly after just a few letters…NOW it takes almost having to type in the whole name. Is there a way to “reindex” the entries so that 1P will find the login more quickly with fewer characters having to be typed in? thanks anyone…Mike

I use 1password subscription and I love using multiple vaults including an archive vault

@mrz3 on mac and v7, you can sort the order. sorry I don’t know about v6

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 13.45.48

I do this too.
BANK… Personal
BANK… Business

@anon20961960 @glenthompson @Tony @Christian @andyh glad to know not deleting stuff is normal. As for Credit Cards I’ll label them such as Mastercard AA Advantage for instance. I’ll be upgrading to 1P Version 7 with the $2.99 a month subscription. WIll use the archived vault feature too. Thanks all!

2 Likes

When I retired I deleted all the work related passwords. But I’m not really that concerned about old passwords. My credit cards are named BankName CardType but now I look at it I should probably simplify the names of affinity cards (in my case Apple, Amazon, and Costco) to just the affinity.

I just delete old accounts I don’t think I need, but leave them in the trash.

I’ve never had performance issues and have about 800 passwords between trash and live.

Speaking of tags, a suggestion I got from one of Agile Bits support people was to give anything in your wallet a tag of “wallet”. If the wallet gets lost or stolen, it’s easy to get all the contact info for credit cards and such. I always include the contact information with the credit cards in 1Password.

2 Likes

I literally just had a clean up this afternoon! Down to around 380 items.

It’s something I’ve been meaning to do for a good few months really so took an opportunity as a final Friday task before the weekend started.

I’m using 1P7 now on my computer and I already love it and have filed away some things in the archive volt already! Trying to setup syncing with my iPhone again (I use Dropbox for that) and there’s no sync section in the preferences pain, any solution?

Update, got 1Password 7 to sync via its own sync instead of using Dropbox. Admittedly converting over is not as intuitive as they make it seem. Now to sift through the duplicates to delete later today and then I’ll get back to putting things I don’t use in my Archive vault.

Can you move logins between vaults? And ( I’m on the 1Password subscription plan ) do additional vaults cost extra?

1 Like

Yes, drag and drop or copy whatever you want to copy.

No.

1 Like

As @Christian noted above, you can move or copy between vaults. If you view the item that you wish to move and scroll to the bottom of the entry there is a Move and Copy… option.

There is no extra charge – the vaults are just organisational areas within your account.

2 Likes