CleanMyMac was the culprit (Was: Got my Mac back)

Day 11 after my M1 mini upgrade from Big S(o)ur to Monterey. Rock solid. Not a single reboot, whereas I barely made it to Day 4 before. All the randomly recurring bugs are gone.

I had planned to rebuilt the M1 after the upgrade. Obviously, not needed.

I’m glad I got my Mac back!

5 Likes

these big upgrades normally replace all core OS files, so anything that was damaged before will have been replaced. My M1 mini has been rock solid, but have see a few kernal panics over the year, which I think have all been software and not OS related.

1 Like

I know - when on Big Sur, I tried regular upgrades, combo upgrades and nothing worked. It was so frustrating.

for sure would have driven me to a fresh install. I have pretty good data and OS separation so do not hesitate to start from scratch

New Update:
About 10 days ago, Monterey started to act up again. Very bad this time, lots of hiservices-xpcservice hanging messages, system became very unstable, Finder issue recurring in full force, etc. Reboots every 24 hours or even more frequently were needed.
Eventually, I found out that Clean My Mac had some services/processes running that grabbed >6GB memory and failing right before the hiservices-xpcservice messages appeared. I uninstalled Clean My Mac a week ago and have not had a single issue since.

2 Likes