Cleanshot for screenshots on Mac - This looks good - anybody tried it?

I have been using this - also good

1 Like

Cleanshot is a popular recommendation here. Iā€™d try it if you have any kind of job where youā€™re frequently capturing/annotating what youā€™re seeing.

Dropshare is another to potentially look at.

1 Like

I find cleanshot invaluable :slight_smile:

1 Like

CleanShot is on SetApp. I love it and use it daily.

3 Likes

CleanShot is awesome, I am using it daily since the first versions. Shottr is a free alternative, if you donā€™t want or canā€™t spend the money.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve never understood a dedicated screenshot app when āŒ˜ā‡§4 is so easy.

3 Likes

The improvements add up when you screenshot as part of your job. Better quick annotation tools and auto-upload for sharing are the main advantages. There are other features, too, that keep you from having to open an image editor.

6 Likes

I use Cleanshot in its most basic form. However, I just saw this video and Iā€™m pretty amazed.

6 Likes

See also

1 Like

Love this app, probably my favourite over the last couple of years!

A few of features I use:

Keeping the screenshot on the screen indefinitely or for a period of time you specify.
It stacks up multiple screenshots
Can make the retina screenshots 1x instead of 2x
History of screenshots even when you have deleted or not saved it.
Copy to the clipboard AND save it to your defined location
Free cloud to share screenshots, great for linking in forum posts.
Much better annotation tools than the standard set
Drag and drop multiple screenshots to stitch together vertically or horizontally

I only bought it last month so Iā€™m sure thereā€™s loads of other features Iā€™ll use!

3 Likes

I used CleanShot many many times a day.

The ā€œAnnotateā€ tool has a lot of options and widgets. For example, do a screenshot, open it in Annotate, and continue there to pile up additional screenshots into the same image. Add a background. Post it. I know of no faster way to do this.

Katie

1 Like

The ability to immediately share a screenshot to the cloud is huge for me. Previously, I was using SnagIt and Dropshare.

Additionally, mapping a keyboard shortcut to Capture Previous Area comes in handy. For example, Iā€™ll take a screenshot of a slide during a webinar and use CleanShot X to annotate it.

Welcome!

I didnā€™t know I needed this until I watched the video above and read your summary :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Cleanshot is one of my favourite Mac apps of all time. Itā€™s a great example of an app with a lot of power under the hood that doesnā€™t feel complex.

In addition to screenshots, I regularly use the Capture Text (OCR) feature in Craft. For convenience, I assigned this feature to ā‡§āŒ˜9. Using this feature, I can grab text from anywhere on the screen simply by drawing a box around it. And the OCR is very accurate in my experience. While Appleā€™s Live Text feature can be helpful, Cleanshotā€™s is more flexible as it allows any text on the screen to be captured.

The Pin to Screen feature is also very handy. Simply click the :round_pushpin:button after capturing something from the screen, and youā€™ll get a window that floats on top of your other windows. For example, if I needed some information when filling out a form, I could put this information into a pinned window so that itā€™s ready when I need it. If I wanted to get fancy, I could use the Capture Text (OCR) function to OCR text contained in this floating window.

I could go on. Suffice it to say Iā€™m a big fan of this app. :+1::+1:

2 Likes

I love CleanShot. You can also use its annotation features to mark up image files already on your disk. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agreed. Itā€™s now my default and another reason that Iā€™ve been finding Setapp to be more and more useful if they keep adding/surfacing this kind of tool

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been using CleanShotX for awhile and itā€™s a great screenshot utility. The new update added even more functionality. Recommended.

1 Like

Another vote for Cleanshot. I use it dozens of times a day.

1 Like

What else have you found that made you think ā€˜How did I live without this before?ā€™, or a tool that has saved you so much time?

For me, it has been CleanShot, TextSniper (OCR to capture text on the screen - but I believe CleanShot does that too) and aText (a text expander)

1 Like

Cleanshot X does sound very good ā€“ Thanks for all the info.

I would like to mention one great tool I use a lot with monosnap: it does have separate text and arrow tools, but it also has a combination of arrow and text at the same time (I set as default). So, after you draw an arrow, then at the small end of the arrow you can automatically type text that is attached to the arrow - all with just the one (default) command.

For me this is very useful and handy.

Can anyone describe how you would easily accomplish the same goal with Cleanshot X: of drawing and arrow and adding text at the end of the arrow? Do you first have to select the arrow command and then separately select text command, or is there an easier way?