Clicking anywhere on desktop moves everything out of the way--I don't like it

I think this is new in Sonoma but not sure. Everything I click anywhere on the desktop is moves everything out of the way. I see how some might like it but for some reason it really annoys me. Anyone know a way to disable that?

It is new with Sonoma. Not at my Mac but there is a setting for it. Look at System Settings desktop.

The option to switch this off is under Desktop and Dock in Settings.

2 Likes

Thanks @MevetS and @Caro, I just changed it and I feel so much better. Thank you.

1 Like

I turned if off as well. I wonder what problem that feature was trying to solve. Getting the desktop has always been very easy. Either press F11 (might need to press Fn depending on your keyboard settings) or do the swipe gesture.

I believe that this change was prompted by the addition of desktop widgets. Perhaps they wanted getting to the desktop for those to be a bit more obvious?

2 Likes

Yes, it is related to widgets. Since the widgets are probably hidden by other windows, it’s a quick way to check the widgets. I’ve gotten used to it and like it.

Yes, it’s really annoying for me because I have muscle memory to get a new Finder window by clicking somewhere on the desktop then typing Cmd-N. I eventually turned it off, particularly as I found no matter what widgets I put on the desktop, I never ended up looking at them anyway. I far prefer information in the menu bar or on my Stream Deck buttons.

1 Like

I also tried this feature for a while but found it more frustrating than helpful. I am too used to pressing F11 to get the desktop, and I can’t undo the muscle memory! So, I’ve disabled this in the end.

Thanks everyone. Now that I now I can turn it off. I like that it is a new feature. I’m all for new features, especially if I can turn them off.

1 Like