Cloudflare DNS, anyone?

Is anybody using Cloudflare DNS (1.1.1.1), and if so what has been your experience with it?

I have, and it’s been fine, I have not noticed ether speed up or slowdown

1 Like

Yes. Really haven’t noticed any difference. Works fine. Hoping company will honor its privacy policies. Time will tell.

1 Like

Its my default followed by Quad9 (9.9.9.9)

If you want to filter and put a barrier in place consider using OpenDSN (Umbrella).

I have been using it and it has worked fine. I can’t say that I have seen any kind of profound performance improvement … but the privacy aspect is nice.

OK, thanks everyone, I’ll give it a go. This will be my first step towards installing a pi-hole and DNSCrypt.

Install and run DNSBench (windows only unfortunately) to see which DNS service gives you the best performance. For me, Cloudflare (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1) is the fastest and Google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) is a very close second.

1 Like

I’ve used Cloudflare with no problems and it was faster than Google which I was using. Time difference was only observable when directly measuring response.

I have been using 1.1.1.1 for a while and am happy. If I notice a network slowdown, I give 9.9.9.9 a try.

5 years on, does anyone have more up to date experience with the revised 1.1.1.1. Families DNS service from Cloudflare?

I was waiting for them to add the granular controls they talked about, but it has never appeared so still using OpenDNS.

@aardy thanks for that. No issue with OpenDNS? Do I need an account with them or just program their DNS servers into my Eero?

They offer a free no account for similar functionality to cloudflare, a free with account that gives you more options and feature and then a paid for account with all the bells and whistles…

Now that companies like Netflix and Apple are using edge cashing to improve their video streaming services I wonder if using your ISP’s DNS might result in the best performance?

In the UK I don’t believe my ‘budget’ ISP implements edge caching, so not something I personally need to be too bothered about. Is probably a valid issue to think about in the states if you consume a good chunk of streaming.

1 Like

Not really, I’d say. Once the DNS is resolved -which usually does not execute a network call as DNSs are locally cached by the OS-, your device accesses the IP directly and that’s where edge caching kicks in on the side of your ISP with the media provider (Apple, Netflix).

1 Like