Comixology 4.0 and the state of digital comics

Comixology is now directly integrated with Amazon Kindle. When you visit the comixology to buy website, it no longer allows subscription to individual titles, the interface follows the Amazon branding, and you can’t access the comics that you already bought except through the app. Plus they also killed downloading non-DRM comics. I have over 2600+ comics in their platform.

It’s appalling, now I don’t know the next best way to buy comics. I just bought the latest issue of Saga through Google Play Books but don’t know how to transfer the comics to another app or platform for reading.

This sucks. How do you read digital comics nowadays if not Comixology?

P.S. I used to buy physical comics before the pandemic, but moved to a new home that doesn’t have a local comic books store within 20km (12.23 miles) radius.

1 Like

It’s been a while since I’ve looked at non-DRM comic book readers, but at one point I went through several and they all lacked some features or polish. The only one I still have on my device is iComics, so I assume that must be the one I liked best if that’s the only one I kept! You can learn more about it at https://icomics.co/

The developer seems to still be working on it, slowly. Just yesterday he tweeted that he finally added dual-page support.

EDITED TO ADD: Wait, I have one more that looks nice. Panels.

Let us know what you end up using!

2 Likes

I think I had settled on Chunky and/or Booklover, though it’s been a while.

If you have a “top five titles” recommendation list to share, I’d be interested… :wink: I tapped out of the traditional Marvel/DC titles ages ago (only so many times I can live through the reboot of an entire narrative universe). Wildstorm still piques my curiosity. And of course some Image titles…

1 Like

Thanks, I’m being drawn to more to Panels. I’ll see how I can transfer the comics I bought off Google Playstore.

I haven’t read any Marvel or DC for a long time. I’m more of a Boom Studios, Dark Horse, Image Comics, and Drawn & Quarterly kind of guy. I haven’t read any new comics recently since I lost my job in the pandemic and just getting back to it because of BKV and Fiona Staples’ Saga just came back from a long hiatus. You should definitely check it out.

For my top comics, you should check out any comics from Brian K. Vaughan (Paper Girls, Y the Last Man, Saga), Ed Brubaker’s Fatale, Joe Hill’s Locke & Key, Mckelvie and Cowles’ The Wicked + The Divine and any non Marvel stuff by Jonathan Hickman, the Luna Brothers, Matt Fraction, and Jeff Lemire.

I usually follow the writers work.

1 Like