Computer names on your network

Not a computer but in my apartment building someone’s wireless router is “WI the Science FI.”

1 Like

What, no Loki? Or are you wanting to avoid trouble?

1 Like

On iOS devices, Settings > General > About > Name.

I used to name my hard drives R2D2 and change the icon as well.

Exactly! :rofl:

I think the next one is going to be Jörmungandr.

2 Likes

At my last employer, when I was hired I inherited a computer named “gallo”. I thought, wow, they name their computers here after wineries. It turned out that the computer was actually rooster in Spanish.

(Fine print – yes it also means rooster in Italian, but the fellow who had the computer before pronounced it like the Spanish word and not the Italian word.)

Yes! I thought I was the only one! The number of devices I have require it. SciFi space ships for drives, Secret Service code names for devices.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of useing references from cartoons and shows I thoroughly love. My current computers

Gaming rig - Omega Supreme (transformers)
Nas - TARDIS ( Doctor Who)
MacBook Air - Megatron (Transformers
MacBook Pro - Dragon Zord (Power rangers)
iPad Pro - Quinjet (marvel universe)
iPhone - laserbeak (Transformers)

I name my equipment after things from Star Wars. iPads and phones are named after Imperial Star Destroyers.

I remember when ring networks were a thing. I wanted to name machines on themes. One ring was planets and another Disney characters. Pluto was the bridge between them.

2 Likes

I’m surprised you didn’t name your wireless network ‘Bifrost’ since it takes you where you want to go. :slight_smile:

1 Like

One of my external drives is ‘Serenity.’

1 Like

In my office, our non-production database servers are named for Norse gods (we have Odin, Thor and Hela). The other servers are named for snakes.

I hadn’t thought about naming my mobile devices beyond my watch.

I used to name my external drives thus: hard knocks, hard times, Hardy Weinberg, hardy har har, and so on.

1 Like

What can I say? I have a sense of humor. :innocent::grin::sunglasses:

1 Like

I’ve always named my gear. My current desktop, an iMac 27” I bought in 2016, is called Dacia. That was my mum’s name (never come across anyone else with it). She died in 2015 (aged 93) and she left me some money which paid for the machine. I often use names from Tolkien. My iPad is Iluvatar (Tolkien’s creator god), my MacBook Air is iPalantir (the Stones of Seeing).I have a previous MacBook Air called Ilmen (the outer air). The WiFi network is called Imladris (the Elvish name for Rivendell, Elrond’s House). My older iMac is called Kryten (the robot from Red Dwarf). My wife’s iPad is Prospero. I’ve got a Windows 10 PC that I never turn on called Silmaril. I try not to recycle names. In my past are computers called Mithril and Mithrandir and others I’ve forgotten.

1 Like

My iMac 14ers (boot drive: Whitney, data drive: Langley) is finally getting its last OS update. Fitting that it will end up with High Sierra.

All my devices are Star Wars themed.

iPhone - X Wing
iPad Pro - Millenium Falcon
HomePod - YodaPod
Planet Hoth network
Mac mini - Death Star
Headphones - C3PO and R2

1 Like

I don’t rename any devices at home (I don’t have many to being with) but in the late 80s I named my drives Plug One and Plug Two after a song off De La Soul’s debut album.

1 Like

Mythical places - Lyonesse, Atlantis, Utopia, Erewhon, Avalon and so on

1 Like