Computer names on your network

When I was in grad school in the 90s, I worked part time for IT. I don’t recall whether we changed an entire computer lab from PC to Mac or the other way around, but in any case the machines all got names like Washington, Allen, Trotsky, Guevara, Bolívar, etc.

I don’t give my iOS devices special names (perhaps I should rethink that), but my personal MacBook Pro is Benden, with a USB drive named Ista, and a Time Machine drive called Igen. My work machine is Tillek.

My machines are in a few places, so each name starts with three letters or numbers in caps — CEL (part of the cellar’s collection of old tech), LIB (library), or TLA (for my office), etc. Then a dash, an abbreviated machine name (e.g., MBPr), and then the model year. So work is TLA-MBPr17.

Drives get named similarly: TLA-boot, LIB-media[6], TLA-TM, CEL-clone, etc. A number in brackets reminds me that the volume is part of a RAID (I do volume for each RAID array; I’m done with the confusion and restrictions of partitions), and which RAID level – I have a few software RAIDs running, along with two Synology boxes.

Other devices are just named by location: Library B&W, kitchen Airport Express, etc. I don’t bother with phones or the like.

The system actually works pretty well such than when I’m starting up, e.g., Jump Desktop, and I’m thinking, “where am I again?” the dissonance is a bit less.

I use planets and historical/mythical figures, e.g. Atilla, Zeus,

1 Like

:+1:t2:

Love it! I really should do something like that. My Apple devices have boring names (like Christian’s Macbook). :slight_smile:

My Synology NAS has a nice one though: HAL9000

I’m a big ice hockey fan, so mine are devices are named after Detroit Red Wings team Captains.

Each of my recent mobile phone upgrades have been Optimus prime 1.0 mini, 2.0 3.1 etc

Laptop is Bumblebee!

My devices just have my name + the name of the device, but my network is called The Panopticon Library. My previous network was The United Federation of Planets.

1 Like

I’m a History buff so I tend to name volumes after people and places in antiquity. I haven’t gone crazy yet but I’ve got Themistocles, Thutmoses, and a few others. Also mixing in fantasy with my Thanos drive, just hope I don’t lose half my data on that one.

1 Like