Concerns about the usability of macOS

This is something that has bugged me for a while that I am going to add to this thread, instead of starting a new thread, but the automagical generation of a context for a shipping code or DOI/URL isn’t magical when all you want is the string of numbers and letters and you don’t want the OS to do anything else. In many cases, I just want to copy the number, but this isn’t an option:

2 Likes

It often works for me, if I mark the number with the mouse from the lower right, to the upper left.

1 Like

I’ve gotten reasonably good at the mouse selection hack, but it’s a hack and sometimes there just isn’t much space to do it within and it’s wonky. Really, I just want a “copy with no link” option.

1 Like

The OS would not be able to do so, I guess.
Often those companies do not want you to just get the number the easy way. Even often I observe, that the number in the Link is even not the number of the parcel, but there are other numbers added to it.
The OS would unfortunately not be able to make the right guess which part of the link you really need.
It is a Offence, but caused by the Delivery-“Services”.

1 Like

True, but macOS will also do this with links embedded in PDFs as plain text. It’s trying to be helpful, but sometimes it’s not. Not all the links that are like this are necessarily HTML.

1 Like

I’ve found some Accessibility settings that help clear things up. In particular the “Display contrast” slider must be all the way to the left. Moving in one smidget to the right leaves lines and smaller font much less clear. Also, I have “Increase contrast” turned on.

My opinion is that the Settings needed improvement, not a complete redo. I’d rather go back to the old Settings interface than have to deal with the new one.

1 Like

These settings are nice, but my point is that Apple applies bad design. Making it not clear what input fields are and applying it consistently is an example of bad design.

1 Like

Or perhaps stated differently, it’s great that accessibility settings exist - but the OS defaults should be usable by most users. It shouldn’t require accessibility settings for a non-visually-impaired user to distinguish between input fields. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What is a “non-visually-impaired user”?
Vision is a very difficult thing, and there is no definition of a “Standard-Viewer”.
On the screenshot, I can clearly distinguish between the fields, AND I have not the same Vision I had some 20-40 years ago!The Settings are there, so every User could find the setting best fitting for him/her, that is also the reason, they are offered at the earliest possible moment when you install the OS.

Yes, that’s what I meant to say :sweat_smile:

I’ll grant that accessibility in general is tricky.

But as noted above, I would say that the majority of users shouldn’t need an accessibility affordance in a given area. For things like settings panes, for example, increasing the contrast slightly would make it far less likely that somebody would even need to go looking for the settings to adjust it.

And note that the position I’m taking is not that the vast majority of users shouldn’t need any affordances at all. It’s that Apple’s design should employ existing, known design principles like “using contrast by default to ease identification of elements” so that, in any given area, they would work for the largest possible group of potential users.

1 Like

I agree, but I wonder if the “Display contrast” slider isn’t just a mistake by Apple. It seems to do just the opposite of what one would expect. Sliding to the right should give more/better contrast, but it seems to produce less contrast, making things harder to see.

1 Like

Can’t believe in this whole thread not one person has mentioned what is my biggest irritant: that you cannot change the system font size (which in itself wouldn’t be needed if Apple didn’t insist on a tiny font to start with!). If you want to change the font size to something more legible, your only choice for the last couple of MacOS versions is to change your screen resolution. That is not a fix (and why do we have to sacrifice resolution just to have a legible screen??).

There used to be a bit of script you could run in terminal that updated system font size, maybe 10 years ago, but it stopped working a few OS’s ago. There is a third party app that can change system font size (I can’t remember the name of it right now), but it made my fan run constantly so I uninstalled it.

It really shouldn’t be this hard :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The older I get, the more often I find myself holding down the CTRL key and scrolling my trackpad to zoom in and then back out. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Im already running 1280 x 800 on a 13-inch MacBook Air).

Apple has a nice function, to help you with that.

1 Like

It isn´t :wink:

@Pupsino is talking about the text in the system UI. And the article you posted doesn’t apply to that - only to certain apps that natively support font scaling.

From Apple’s own help article, the way to make the system UI bigger is to change your display resolution:

Just for completeness, here’s Apple’s solutions for “the text is too small”. There’s only one of them at addresses the system font being too small:

Make text bigger on your Mac

• Scale your display’s resolution to make text and objects appear larger: On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click Displays in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.) On the right, select one of the Larger Text options to the left of Default.
  • Increase the text size in many apps: In apps such as Mail, you can press Command-Plus (+) or Command-Minus (–) to adjust text size. If that doesn’t work, check the app’s settings.
  • Increase the text size of messages in Messages: In Messages, choose Messages > Settings, click General, then move the “Text size” slider to the right.
4 Likes