Connecting Thunderbolt Display to M1 iMac

Can anyone tell me how I can connect my old 27-inch Apple Thunderbolt Display as a second display for my 2-1/2 year-old M1 iMac?

The input for the Thunderbolt Display is what was called an Octopus cable with both a MagSafe end (which I used with my old MacBook Air) and a Thunderbolt 2 end. The M1 iMac has only Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports.

A couple months after purchasing my iMac I tried connecting the Thunderbolt end of the display’s cable to one of the Thunderbolt 3 ports on the back of the iMac using Apple’s Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. But… no signal. I gave up on the Thunderbolt Display and have been using a 23-inch Dell I had lying around with an HDMI port cabled to the iMac as a second display ever since.

Because of a new use case (where the larger the canvas, the better) I would like to try again with the Thunderbolt Display. ZDnet published an article in August 2022 on adding a second Thunderbolt monitor to an M1 Mini and used an HDMI to Thunderbolt 3 adapter. That adapter is powered, whereas the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 is not. Could that be the problem?

I can find no Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 converter that is powered. But there are docking stations that are powered and have a Thunderbolt 2 port, such as this 14-Port Thunderbolt Dock from OWC. Would that work?

Found the solution… eventually. A third Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (confirmed to not be defective in the retail store where I purchased it) connecting to the Thunderbolt port on the back of the display via an Apple Thunderbolt cable (T2 to T2), thereby bypassing the Octopus cable (which continues to work fine when attached to my old MacBook Air), is what was needed. Another $100 worth of adapter and cable but far less than purchasing a comparable monitor.