I’m looking for a Macbook Air for my daily commute by train to replace my iPad Pro so that I can work on personal tech stuff like write/run Python scripts, run ZSH, run Docker , etc. The reason I chose the Air is because I remember it was small(11.6" screen) and lightweight. It also didn’t have the butterfly keyboard.
- Small - The train is pretty cramped, 11.6" screen would be great. I tried a 13" Macbook Pro for a bit and trouble with having room for it on my lap while competing for seat space with other commuters.
- Cellular signal fades in an out during my commute. I can’t depend on an Internet connection.
- Light - I carry a lot in my work backpack, it probably weighs as much as I do, lol. Anything to cut weight is a plus.
- Scissor keyboard - I use a 2017 Macbook Pro for work, and I can’t even type name on that keyboard, much less get any work done. I always use an external keyboard with it.
- Memory and Storage - I think 8gb / 256 gb will do.
- CPU - not as important. I won’t be transcoding video or anything CPU intensive.
Which Macbook Air model was the last one made that did not have the butterfly keyboard? So far the tech specs for them just says “keyboard, x keys” but doesn’t specify the type. I would had to purchase an MBA to discover that it had butterfly keys.
I’d appreciate any advice on selecting the right year/model MBA to do computer work during my commute.