Controlling Volume Output on a Mac Mini

I recently purchased a new Mac Mini (M2 Pro, 512 HD, 16GB memory running 14.3.1) for a new studio I just built out back.

I have a big Homepod (First Gen) in the studio that I want to use for all my audio output from the Mac Mini AND I’d like to control the volume from my after-market keyboard.

Is there way a way to set it and forget it?

When I go to Settings > Sound I can select “play sound effects through 'selected output device” and I select the HomePod in the list below and if I’m lucky it works for a little bit but then automatically, and randomly switches back. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to make this more permanent? Or are there any apps that help you have more fine-tuned controls over audio settings and outputs that wouldn’t be total overkill?

Thank you for your help!

Wess

Might be worth taking a look at SoundSource by Rogue Amoeba: Rogue Amoeba | SoundSource: A Superior Sound Control

2 Likes

This is a problem that has disturbed me for years now. I don’t understand why Apple won’t solve this!

Please leave feedback at Apple: Product Feedback - Apple

1 Like

Can the Mac/SoundSource direct system audio to HomePods? I didn’t think it could.

If not, Rogue Amoeba also sell AirFoil. I use that to direct specific apps at the HomePod minis either side of my Studio Display. I know Music can do this natively, but I send Portal to the HomePods while all other audio remains through the Studio Display speakers.

Thanks! I have heard the guys talk about Rogue Amoeba software before but I’ve never tried any of it.

Good to know! I will.

Ah - maybe that is part of the issue. I just want audio (music, videos, games etc) to come through the homepod, I don’t really care about system sounds.

@zkarj What’s the difference between SoundSource and Airfoil? Is Airfoil just a more simple version of sound source? It looks like they should both do the trick.

Just to circle back, I’ve downloaded the rogue amoeba apps and am really like Sound Source. It is doing everything I wanted it to do (including keyboard adjustments).

This is my current settings and setup. I had a little trouble connecting to the homepod at first until I was able to change settings in the home.app to share speakers with “everyone on this network.” Then it worked fine.

Thanks for the help!

3 Likes

They are very different things.

SoundSource is an audio routing tool for the Mac. It can route audio to external devices but only if they already have a relationship with the Mac. I.e. Bluetooth devices.

AirFoil is explicitly an AirPlay tool. Like SoundSource, it can take a specific audio source as input (which can also be “System Audio”) but its output is, and must be, an AirPlay target.

As such, if your goal is getting audio to your HomePods, you’ll want AirFoil.

Edit: Wait a minute! I’ve just noticed the image in your post! I do not see “AirPlay” as a device.

1 Like

Thanks! That helps a lot. I had to go into the home app and make some adjustments to get the homepod to work as an airplay device but it is working out. SoundSource has been working well, but I will give airfoil another shot now that I know how to get it to work. Thanks!

1 Like

I cannot get AirPlay to show up as an option in SoundSource.

My Home app had speakers shared to anyone on the network, and I changed that to everyone. I restarted SoundSource and still no AirPlay option as a target.

I can’t see any settings for the HomePods themselves that seem likely to affect it. I do have two set up as a stereo pair which may be a factor?

I have two generation one HomePods and a HomePod mini, as well as several other AirPlay devices all of which are accessible via the AirPlay menu in Music, or via my iPhone or iPad. But AirPlay is not an option in SoundSource.

The SoundSource manual has no reference to AirPlay.

So how did @cwdaniels get AirPlay to show up as a Device?

1 Like

I went into the Sound Settings on MacOS and selected a HomePod as output. When I did that, SoundSource showed Airplay as a device. I didn’t check out anything any further, so I don’t know what happens since I did this. (Didn’t have time to test this).

1 Like

I tried that as well. And AirPlay shows up in SoundSource.

Thanks, mystery solved.

1 Like

That’s wild. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry that it should be so obtuse.

1 Like

If I look under Music, Airplay doesn’t show up.