Cool ways you use text expander?

A few things that I do in TE to save time:

• Enter dates, tdy, tmr, and yst create the dates you would expect, and I have a variety of snippets that create dates in specific formats.
  • I have a snippet that pastes the content of the clipboard in plain text. I know there are usually other short cuts or menus to do this, but it keeps my hands on the keyboard and is the same everywhere.
  • I sometimes have to work with HTML in a plain text editor, so I have some of the common tags set up to create the opening and closing tag and leave the cursor in between.
  • The obvious form type emails that I don’t have to rewrite everytime.

I also use Grammarly wherever I can, and it sends me reports of different things, including my most frequent misspellings. So everytime I have a new one show up I add it to TE to automatically fix it. Usually these are words that I know how to spell, but for some reason always mis-type them, so “learning” to spell them correctly is kind of a waste of time.

I have written a while ago a blog post on who I use TextExpander:

Hope this is useful.

All the best,
Helmut

1 Like

FYI the following interesting article was posted yesterday: 5 Mac App Alternatives If You Hate App Subscriptions. For alternatives to TextExpander, the article discussed

• Typinator
  • aText
  • PhraseExpress
  • Alfred
  • BetterTouchTool

I’d never before heard of the website sritutorials but they have a very interesting MacOS-related section, with a lot of fresh content:

That simple idea will be extremely useful for me! I need to switch among at least four word processing programs or presentation programs, all of which support formatted text. Very often I want to paste something as plain text (to acquire the formatting of selected text), and every program has a different keyboard shortcut for it! Now, I can just type “,pt” and bingo, there it is. Thanks.

1 Like

I do genealogy on my Mac (btw, genealogy is a snippet for me “ggy”). I acquire a lot of photos and documents that I want to name in some standard way, so I’ve developed a file-naming snippet like this:

%fillpopup:name=State:default=CT:CA:MA:IL:Kent:NY:NJ:PA:SD:WI:UK%-%filltext:name=City%-%fillpopup:name=Record Type:Biog:Birth:Bldg:Cem:Census:Church:Corresp:Dir:Court:Death:Divorce:Geneal:Immig:Land:Marriage:Military:News:Obit:Photo:default=Portrait:School:Tax%-%filltext:name=LastFirstName%-%filltext:name=Year(4):width=4%

When I type “genfile” in a file-renaming dialog, this prompts me for each field and results in file names like this:

CT-Bristol-Methodist Church-2016
NY-NewYork-Marriage-WatsonGoodwin-HippleGladys-1923

Saves a huge amount of time and makes it certain that I can search for and find the documents and photos that I want.

3 Likes

My usage is pretty vanilla, too. But I love, when I am preparing monthly invoices, to be able to type 5 letters which will create a sentence that includes either the name of this month or the name of next month (depending on the kind of account) autogenerated based on the current day, so I don’t have to copy and hold it in my clipboard and then paste the wrong one and bill for the wrong month.

I also am putting some frequently used legal citations into TE so I can type my common name or abbreviation, and it will insert the complete actual heading and citation. So ;aks would become 42 U.S. Code § 1320a–7b - Criminal penalties for acts involving Federal health care programs.

@mhodos, yours are great. Being able to keep your abbreviations, but never have anyone else have to read them is perfect.

1 Like

I wanted to use this too, but I couldn’t figure out how to make it do multiple lines.

If you create the expansion on macOS, you can press option-return to insert a new line that should expand on iOS.

how is y’all expirence with Text Expander on iOS… the reviews in the apps store are very suspect when everyone seems to rave about the tool?

I’m thinking of trying it as I’m tired of the apple keyword shortcuts i have not always working… please let me know as plan to use TE on mobile vice macOS

Thanks

The keyboard is nothing special & if you use punctuation in your abbreviations you’ll be constantly flipping between the alphabet screen and the numbers / symbols screen. It feels like an afterthought. Other than that, it works as promised and integrates with a lot of third party apps.

TextExpander is great if you have an iPad keyboard in apps that support textexpander. I didn’t like the TE keyboard too much.

I’m not a fan of the iOS keyboard, so i do most of my writing in drafts for the TE support with the regular keyboard.