Create a Pinned, Floating Window on Desktop?

I stumbled across something on Catalina that I cannot now reproduce.

I had a folder window view placed at the lower right on my desktop. It was a view to one of my Tag sets.

At some point, something rather odd yet rather wonderful happened. Anytime I would open a folder from within the tag window view, the folder that I tried to open would open in the top left corner of the desktop. The source tag view folder remained pinned at the lower right of the desktop screen.

I cannot reconstruct this behavior. I would like to have it back.

What am I missing?

–
JJW

This sounds interesting to me, too. I don’t have any leads, but to ask a few questions: how is this different from e.g., context menu → open in new window? Was the newly-opened folder window a conventional Finder window or different somehow?

It is different in that a) I typically have open in new tab as the default and b) I was not context clicking just simply double clicking.

I might do a wild guess about what may have happened. I may have somehow had something programmed to do a context click to open in new window. I use a trackball system that might have gotten itself out of wack.

Which still means, I want to figure out how to make that behavior stick.

–
JJW

Copy that. And the special thing about these two windows was that the source window would stay in the bottom-right, but the new window would open up further away in the upper left?

Yes. Exactly. Also no context click to open in new window. Just double click to open.

—
JJW

Hmmm. Try this: hold cmd and double-click a folder in Finder.

1 Like

BINGO!

I must have had the CMD key inadvertently “stuck” somewhere.

There’s now a track-ball and a Better Touch Tool macro to be developed for this case.

Thank you! Thank you!

ps … It remains odd to me that I am certain that I had the Open in Tab checkbox set. So, the window should have opened in a new TAB, not in a separate window. Oh well. I have something that works how I want. Move on.

–
JJW

1 Like

Aha. Happy to help! It is a really neat hidden-ish Finder feature, so I’m glad you asked about it.