Cursor Movement and Multiple Monitors

I use multiple monitors (three plus a small status monitor) and am looking for a way to have the cursor jump from one monitor to another, so as to along long drags.

I did a search of the forum but did not find an answer.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Not the robust solution you’re looking for but I have a very high mouse sensitivity setting (almost maximum on both macOS and logitech settings) to solve this problem.

Do you have your monitors arranged correctly in System Preferences > Display panel? That would minimize the “distance” from one monitor to another.

Thanks. Alas, I find that when I set a high value I tend to overshoot things.

I do. But always good to make sure. Kinda the “is it plugged in question.” :slight_smile:

Thanks.

You can do this with Better Touch Tool.

https://folivora.ai

Perhaps steer mouse
http://www.plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/index.html

Perhaps USB Overdrive
https://www.usboverdrive.com

And of course, Keyboard Maestro

If you’re looking for bang for your buck, including keyboard shortcuts and a billion other things, Keyboard Maestro would be my choice.

I thought this might be handy for me too, so I created some Keyboard Maestro macros.
I have a Logi MX Master 2S mouse with two thumb buttons I never used, so assigned it to them (pic below).
Top button moves to next display to the left, wrapping around if needed.
Bottom button moves to next display to the right, wrapping around if needed.
It moves to the center of the display. If I use it a lot, I might add saving the position on each display.

MX Master 2S

MX Master 3

1 Like

I have a MX Master 3, and I just recently bought a license for Keyboard Maestro. Now I just have to figure out how to take your macros and load them into KM. Something to do tomorrow morning when the temps are in the teens Fahrenheit.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this.

Stay well,

1 Like

Looks like @JohnAtl provided them as a file of type “.kmmacros” so all you have to do is double click the file after you download it.

Like @JohnAtl, I’m using Keyboard Maestro. I have one keystroke to move the cursor to the center of monitor 1, another to move it to the center of monitor 2, and a third to a third monitor (I no longer use the third monitor)

The screenshot shows the macro for screen 1. Mashing the three keys to the left of the spacebar, plus the comma key, jumps to the center of the first screen.

For screen 2, you would change the “1” in 'SCREEN(1,MidX)" and 'SCREEN(1,MidY)" to 2, and change it to 3 for screen 3.

Edit: Here are the three macros if anyone wants to download them:

I’ve had this macro for several years, and suspect I probably got it from someone on the Keyboard Maestro forums.

Great. Now I have to find something else to do tomorrow morning. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for pointing that out. I’ll give it a go now.

Stay well.

Ok, I’ve imported it into Keyboard Maestro and enabled the macro group. But it is not working for me. Clicking the buttons on my MX Master 3 has no effect on the cursor position.

:frowning:

I also have Better Touch Tool and have used it previously to set up several actions. And I was able to set up two actions on my Magic Track Pad that do the following:

Control - Triple Finger Tap moves to the rightmost monitor.
Control - Triple Finger Double Tap moves to the leftmost monitor.

Both use the Move Mouse To Position action.

This addresses that main issue of long distance scrolls. But I’d still like the more general solution of cycling through the monitors.

So I’ll keep experimenting (I do have something to do tomorrow morning after all!). :slight_smile:

Thanks again for everyone’s help.

You’ll need to enable them.
They come in disabled by default.
You could also assign other buttons or keys, as you see fit.

More here:
https://wiki.keyboardmaestro.com/manual/Macros#How_to_Import_Macros

JohnAtl,

I’ve enabled the Macro Group and the “Mouse to Next Left Display” and the “Mouse to Next Right Display” both have the “Triggered by any of the following” check boxen checked.

Is there something else I need to do?

Thanks again.

Turns out if you’re using the Unifying Receiver, those side buttons aren’t sent through to KM. I just switched to the Unifying Receiver for another problem, and here’s what I did to fix the window switcher macros.

• First, in the Logi Options app, set the side buttons to some weird key combination you’ll never use.
    • I used ⌃⌥⌘-F18 for the top button, and ⌃⌥⌘-F19 for the bottom button. See pics below.
  • In Keyboard Maestro, change the Triggered by any of the following to use a hot key, then click the mouse button you want to assign. The field will be filled in with ⌃⌥⌘-F18 or ⌃⌥⌘-F19. See pics below.

Click the side button to change
Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 6.37.18 AM

Then assign it to a weird key combination

Then change keyboard maestro to use a hot key, and press one of the mouse buttons.

Rinse and repeat for the other button.

John,

Thank you again for your help.

I finally had a chance to get back to this. I changed the trigger to a key combo, but when I try I get the following dialog:

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 7.00.23 PM

What am I missing?

Evan,

Thank you. I’ve imported this and it is working for me.

I changed the key combos slightly to:

Left: Caps Lock - Left Arrow
Right: Caps Lock - Right Arrow
Center: Caps Lock - Up Arrow

Where Caps Lock is my Meta key, set via Karabiner Elements.

Thank you again for this.

1 Like

Ah, I think there’s another macro that it needs that I didn’t include. I’ll check on it tomorrow.