Data Recovery Software

Anyone have any suggestions on data recovery tools for the Mac?

My brother just reached out to me as his fiancée just somehow restored her MacBook and lost everything. He’s a windows user so he has no clue which tools are worthwhile for the Mac but has high level computer degrees along with works in the tech sector so if it’s somewhat complicated process he’s more than capable of handling it.

I already asked if she used Time Machine back ups and haven’t received an answer but I’m assuming not.

I’ve successfully used DiskWarrior in the past. Don’t recall the circumstances, but it was well worth the price. I now keep it on a thumb drive in my backpack, just in case.

https://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/

1 Like

DiskWarrior is the first step I’d take.

I’ve also used Data Rescue in the past with good success.

However, both of those tools were honed for HFS+ and I’m not sure if they’ll have the same level of success if the drive was formatted as APFS (which it probably was). Unfortunately Apple has (apparently) not been very forthcoming with information that DiskWarrior needed to work with APFS, and I suspect the same would be true of Data Rescue… soooo I wouldn’t be overly optimistic if they don’t have backups.

1 Like