DayOne purchased by Automattic

That was my impression. But I could be wrong about it. As I was using an earlier version, it hadn’t really effected me so I may not have paid close attention. I had been reading the feedback.

Are you using a really early version maybe like I’ve used?

Thanks!

I am grandfathered still. So they have not stopped.

1 Like

I have a grandfathered version on an Air 2, but it doesn’t synch with a newer free version on my iPad Pro.

1 Like

That’s not how it should be, everything syncs everywhere on my end. I actually just reinstalled the apps fresh two months ago after rage quitting it three years back. “Restore purchases” gave me the grandfathered plan and I use it perfectly fine on my modern devices.

4 Likes

Why haven’t we heard the financial details of this acqusition? I need to know if Bloom still needs my subscription to prevent their devs from starving to death…

2 Likes

Thank you! I will try that.

1 Like

We probably won’t get the figure from a small private transaction. You can stop the subscription if that’s the reason; Automattic salaries are not top tier, but they’re all going to be reasonably well paid as part of that organization. Once COVID is totally over, they’ll get some nice conference travel budget benefits, too!

My dear friends, please stop fearing that the sky is falling (this is supposedly a very Gaulish thing to do, so I’m the only that I know of around here for whom that could be a legitimate tradition :wink:):

2 Likes

How did you export your Day One entries? Mine all came out as one document with a zillion entries in it.

I got the JSON export and used the following Python script to convert to individual markdown files. All the images work in Obsidian right away.

An alternative is to export as JSON and use the Bear app (free on the Mac) to process the entries. It will convert them into original entries and preserve the tags (and the route I mentioned in my earlier post will not do that).

Stephen

The Python script also preserves tags.

What a great phrase. Something I have done from time to time but never known there was a term for it :joy:

2 Likes

I have over a few hundred Day One entries with photos that I’m thinking I best get out of there. I’m getting a migraine just thinking about it. But I’ll likely need to do so sooner or later. I want to get it over with.

I’m not using their server as I didn’t think it was such a good idea to do so with a journal– one of the reasons I never subscribed. It has been syncing which I believe was a add-on feature tied into the subscription. So maybe I don’t need to get the entries out but it will probably be obsolete or something before I know it. My crystal ball is broken so I really don’t know what is going to happen.

I have iPads but no Mac. I have every notes app ever featured in the App Store! I have loads of writing apps. When I had a laptop a while ago, I could automate with Hazel and such. But, frankly, I don’t even know where to begin with my iPads.

If I export them at a rate of three a day, I might be able to get a handle on this mess by October. LOL!

If someone would be kind enough to explain I’d greatly appreciate it and I’m likely not alone. For me, please, dummy it down!

Don’t mind me I’m just getting bummed out. I’ll get over it.

If you do not have a Mac, I would be doubtful about being able to do this with the Python script. You could try Pythonista.

Full instrcutions for the conversion are at:

The prerequisiste is to have Python 3 installed.

I had to do the following:

1. Install a package called pytk (“pip install pytk” in a terminal),
  2. Change the line for the path in the script to the directory where the JSON and images reside.
  3. Run the script (“python3 splitfile.py” in a terminal).

I hope this helps someone!

Getting data out of Day One was not as straightforward as it should be.

1 Like

Wow! Thanks so much, Rob!

I certainly agree with that!

Stephen

1 Like