Deep linking Apple notes - macOS and iOS

I found an interesting article How to Create Deep Links to Specific Apple Notes on iOS.
Is there an option to make a shortcut that works both in iOS and macOS?

You can download the shortcut, using the link provided in the article – being beware of links to some random person’s iCloud account. The shortcut you download can be installed in Shortcuts on macOS. Running that shortcut on macOS is not a pleasant experience – it is kludgy and you have to scroll around inside the Content Item Graph to search for the link for the selected note, which is not at all easy on a Mac. It’s more of a because-I-can shortcut than something useful.

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing after reading that article. On iOS with three clicks I can copy a Note’s URL without difficulty in Apple Notes. That may not be as convenient as a single click on a shortcut but it’s certainly not difficult. And, with a shortcut that complicated I would be concerned that an update with iOS or macOS would break the shortcut.

That said, I hope Apple adds a seamless backlinking capability to Apple Notes. Craft and Obsidian are much easier when it comes to linking notes.

3 Likes

Can you please specify how you copy the url to an Apple Note?

I will be happy to but the process is different on MacOS versus iOS/iPadOS. In which OS or platform are you wanting to copy the AN URL?

Thank you, i would be interested in the solution for both platform, but mainly iOS.
This is actually what makes me looking for alternatives, although I really like the integration and simplicity of the built in apps.

On the Mac, this support article will be helpful: Share notes and folders on Mac - Apple Support

On iOS it is even easier because you don’t have to add an email address. Follow these steps:

1. Click the circle at the top right with the the ellipsis

Sharing and Apple note from Mac

1. Select Share Note
  2. Scroll to the right and select Copy Link

1. Select Copy Link on the top right, NOTE: you do NOT need to add an email address)

I hope the helps.

Thank you, it does indeed help a lot. I have no idea, how I could overlook the copy link command :face_with_spiral_eyes:
But I found it with your help and added it to favorites.
Thanks again, also for the link, I will try the Mac workflow tomorrow.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. How can this be accomplished on macOS?

Also, there should be an easier way supported by the app, Bear and Obsidian have this already. :frowning:

I agree! The way this is handled in AN is one of my complaints about the app, but the advantages, for me, outweigh this inconvenience.

As to how on the Mac, it is easy but weird. You select share from the toolbar, put in an email address and click share but you don’t actually send it. I use my email address. Once you click share, the URL is placed in the clipboard from where you can then paste it.

2 Likes

Thank you :heart: . My Notes app did not have that icon in the toolbar for some reason and I had to add it there to use this feature. I was trying to use the “Send a Copy” button earlier. Thanks again.

I really wish Drafts adds support for images and that would be the perfect quick notes app for me.

1 Like

@Bmosbacker have you tried this with ios17 (not sure if you are on the beta or not)?

I have been using the manual links a bit more for my notes (as compared to DTTG) and putting them on my “work exchange calendar” which then links when I’m at my work PC and lets me pull up icloud web and edit notes (works well enough since no PC option for DT). I am hoping there is an easier way on ios17 to get these links without putting in the email or phone # since they have added the “wiki links.” I don’t link out a lot, but I do like having my meeting notes linked to the calendar event.

No, I never install Betas. :slightly_smiling_face: I prefer to let others take the Beta plunge. I like to swim in calm waters. :slightly_smiling_face:

But, the public release is soon so we will not have to wait long.

Agreed. Am going through my weekly update of meeting notes, and wishing there was an easier option to get the link back to the note. Hoping the “wikilink” feature might have an easier link option that can be used in calendar (or even allow a deep link to calendar from a note the same way you can use 2 fingers and drag it to reminders).

I suspect you know this, but you don’t have to drag to connect to Reminders via a Note link. I use the share menu.

But, unfortunately, this does not work with Calendar. :confused:

Thanks for the reminder!

I find the share sheet is too many steps (aka changing from collaborate to send copy and then telling it which list to go to), as well as the highlighting text and then share and selecting reminders. It seems quicker to just drag and drop it to the list I want on ios. And on ipados I think the side by side view with my reminders list is the best way to do this, as you can see both open and just drag and drop. (This is the feature that I would love for calendar!)

1 Like

Hello everyone!

I am appreciating this thread as I am so much wanting to link notes and amazed by the complexity. In Workflowy https://workflowy.com - a link can be created in with 2 clicks, sometimes 3. Also thank you @Bmosbacker for bring clarity and easy directions to follow.

We moved into Sonoma 14.1.2 and iOS 17.1.1 and no longer able to locate the Copy Link icon in either OSes. Do you or others have suggestions for what we are not doing correctly?

1 Like