“Default” Apple Watch Face and Why?

fullsizeoutput_38ec

I use the simple face with Drafts, Reminders, OmniFocus and Carrot. When I´m working though, I use the Siri face because I need to see my schedule and which room I’m teaching in next.

I use the Siri as my default during the work week, I like how easy it makes it to glance and see what’s next on my schedule and I think with updates to WatchOS this fall it is going to be even better.

On the weekends, I will either keep the Siri face or switch to the Modular face depending on what is going on. The modular face lets me see my sports scores and weather info much more quickly.

When I take one of my somewhat frequent trips to Disney World I use the Mickey face as my default because Mickey, lol.

I use modular 99% of the time. Why? Because I can have the maximum number of complications. I do have the Utility one set up as an ‘overflow’ with some complications that I use from time to time.

1 Like

During the last days, a big discussion broke loose on the internet about the lack of customization options for the Apple Watch Faces. Several developers built some “fake” watch faces (no real faces but Apple Watch apps).

Some of those watch faces look really interesting. You can find a collection of tweets at https://www.macstories.net/news/developers-show-what-they-could-make-if-apple-opened-up-watch-face-development/

There you will be able to find some screenshots.

I do not feel the need to have third party watch faces but I get the laments regarding Apple’s dedication to update older watch faces. Maybe, they really should be more open to third party faces. I don’t know.

Having this said, I am fine with the customization options Apple provides me with. My current watch face:

IMG_0026

On the top left, I have the Things complication. First, I used the big Things complication in the center. It was quite nice, but the Apple Watch face loses legibility with complications like that. It is not Things’ fault, but the way how Apple displays the center complication overlaying the watch face is a problem to me. I want to be able to see the exact time (including the seconds).

On the top right, I use Apple’s temperature complication. I love it.

In the center, I use Apple’s digital clock. If there was a more legible analog Apple Watch Face with similar functionality, I would not use the digital clock.

On the left, I use Apple’s date complication. It looks nice, it works and with a tap, I am able to open the calendar.

On the right, I have the training complication.

Below, the circular complication with the “1” being displayed, is a Fantastical complication. It displays today’s number of appointments. You can choose this option in Fantastical. I wanted to have something to indicate if I have appointments today without having to actively look into the calendar. It is a compromise, but it does work.

On the bottom left, Overcast is waiting for me.

On the bottom right, Apple’s Activity complication provides me with a look onto “my rings”.

I think it was @MacSparky on a recent MPU episode who said he did not know how to fill up the new Apple Watch Face spaces with complications. To be honest, I did not have this problem. My available spaces filled up very quickly. :laughing:

3 Likes