Defective Magic Keyboard - Replace Or Get Something Different?

I have a Magic Keyboard (current edition - the one that charges via Lightning) that’s dropping "i"s on the floor about 50% of the time. Basically, unless the key is actuated with the force dead-center, it doesn’t produce a letter.

This keyboard is less than three weeks old. At this point I can take it back to the store (Best Buy in this case) and get a replacement, or a refund.

I know the MacBook Pro keyboards have some issues, but I’m not aware of comparable issues with the Magic Keyboard.

If it were your keyboard, would you replace it with another Magic Keyboard? Or get something else? And if “something else”, any suggestions for a compact keyboard that works great with Mac? :slight_smile:

Any advice?

Magic Keyboards are usually rock-solid. If you like the feel of it get a replacement.

There are lots of alternatives, wired or wireless. There’s a long, deep dive when investigating keyboards, especially mechanical keyboards, and you’re opening a can of worms, if not Pandora’s Box. (There are entire online forums - multiple forums - dedicated to discussions of keyboards.) If you’re okay with the Apple keyboard otherwise, just stick with it.

1 Like

Other than the key not working, I’m happy with it. I just don’t want to have a keyboard that goes bad again in a couple months when I can’t take it back. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info!

I tend to prefer wired keyboards because I type so fast that I’ve had wireless keyboards not keep up. (And I vastly prefer keyboards with numeric keypads.) But for a couple of months last year I used the Magic Keyboard that came with my iMac and it was perfectly fine. Still have it somewhere, along with the Magic Mouse (about which the less said the better).

1 Like

I would try another magic keyboard. They are indeed super solid and have zero of the laptop keyboard issues. I’d be very surprised if this happened again to you.

1 Like

I would replace it with another Magic Keyboard as well. I’ve been using one at work for about a year, 40 hours a week, and it has been totally reliable.

1 Like

I’m still using my original one from 2015 without any issues except a few keycaps starting to lose their letters.

1 Like

I’ve had several Mac wireless keyboards including this one and have never had a problem with it, so I would consider this an aberration and just get a replacement.

2 Likes

Cool. Best Buy will do the swap for me, so I’ll take it in this weekend. :slight_smile: Thanks for the advice everybody!

2 Likes