Deliveries 9 is almost here

Don’t bring logic to a money fight. Or something like that. :joy:

I still don’t get (well, I do, but I don’t like) why Apple are so against a software purchase model that was doing fine for decades. I mean… isn’t “initial price plus paid upgrade” functionally identical to “free trial plus subscription” by simply leaving out the scheduling aspect?

It is fanstastic that Apple can offer a simple method for some developers to offer subscriptions where they make sense. But for an awful lot of software, the old model is far more sensible.

2 Likes

Another one bites the dust.

I am rapidly moving to using only Apple apps and DEVONthink now.

Subscriptions and recurring payments are for mortgages, utility bills etc. I will never subscribe for software.

Subscription models whilst superficially attractive for developers generally result in an unsustainable business in the long run. You end up with 95% customers leaving immediately, those that are left are super important and you only need a few of those to subsequently leave to cause real problems.

2 Likes

Deliveries does not support many carriers (especially if you shop on Ali Express), they are slow with updates, but it is best app in terms of design and quality. Don’t like Parcel. But, I paid for it years ago for both iOS and Mac. I do want to support the app, but subscription for app which doesn’t have recurring costs (sync is via iCloud) is kind of wrong. I’d pay them $10 every couple years just to support development. So, $5/year is acceptable, $10/year – nope. Unless there will be faster support for new carriers and more updates to the app.

In last year, there were three minor updates to the app. Three. Subscription worthy? Nope… :frowning:

Sorry.

They offer their own sync as well: Junecloud.

(but I’m using iCloud myself as well, so I don’t know what benefits that service offers)

Maybe the sub will help the dev regain interest and offer updates again. That happened with many apps that went subscription (Airmail for example).

… although not Fantastical :grin:

Well, I truly enjoy the automatic conference call feature they added in their 3.1 update!

https://flexibits.com/blog/

1 Like

Deliveries 9 is out!

The subscription price is quite reasonable: €5,49/year.

Because I purchased this App in the past I received a Complimentary Subscription that expires on 2/2/21, but/and “most of the feature you’re used to will remain unlocked”.

It looks like the subscription is mainly for Junecloud Sync (which I don’t use) and future features.

1 Like

Same here. Totally happy with this move. I have the refreshed design, the same features I paid for. If I like what’s in store, I can pay for it. Now that’s a subscription transition done right.

1 Like

They posted the details here:

1 Like

Did Deliveries add any missing services that caused people to use Parcel and other apps?

Not that I can see. :confused:

2 Likes

It’s interesting… it seems that subscriptions like €5,49 per year have a much better reception than similar figures per month. That might seem like an obvious statement, but what I wonder is this: is it the “per year” that makes it more palatable, or the fact that it is 1/12th the amount? Or both?

I know I’ve signed up for subscriptions that I don’t need when they’re a handful of dollars per year, yet been careful about signing up for something less per month. I don’t know where my lines are drawn though. Would I balk at $1.49 per month but happily pay $19.99 per year?

Seems like a psychology study in the making.

1 Like

I think the per-month options are good when something is new and I want to test it out, but I think the biggest difference is the actual price per year.

For something tried and true like Deliveries, an annual subscription is easier to accept (although they do offer a monthly as well).

Apps that do not offer a monthly subscription, especially new apps, always seem like they’re trying to raise enough money to survive the first year, which makes me nervous, especially when it’s an expensive subscription like Camo (the app that lets you use your iPhone as a webcam).

1 Like

For me it’s the perceived value. If you have a utility and you want 5 dollars a month that might be an issue with me because I don’t even pay that much for Disney+.

Developers moving to subscriptions doesn’t suddenly change the salary that I bring home. I think that some are misguided a bit. They don’t want to wok for The Man and that’s fine but Entrepreneurship is about hustling.

If I see the value in your product and your hustle I’m more likely to buy in.

1 Like

It’s so inexpensive guys, not sure what all there is to think about. For $5 per year, it’s worth it for me. Heck, I’d pay $50 per year.

I’d guess that the simplicity of a low annual price makes it easier to think about. When faced with both annual and monthly prices, one starts to worry about optimizing the purchase. I don’t think the dollar amount matters so much in respect to annual; it’s just that $5-10/year is appropriate for many consumer-oriented apps so it overcomes some initial resistance to paying at all, as it feels roughly fair.

I just got the subscription notice today and deleted the application. I don’t do subscriptions, especially for software.

I wish the Deliveries developer the best of luck.

So far this year I’ve had to jump ship from Deliveries and Fantastical. Who’s next? Does any else want to lose my business? 2020 isn’t over yet, so there is still time!

My understanding is that folks who have previously purchased the app will still be able to use iCloud sync and add new deliveries without a subscription. That is my primary use case. I’ll miss out on new features once my free subscription expires but, at least for my needs, I think I’m OK.

3 Likes

I would suggest reading an application’s terms before deleting it out of principle. As a previous purchaser, you keep access to all the features you had for free, for life. Which incidentally has been said in this thread. You lose nothing, you pay nothing. Nothing changes for you.

Now if you want to spend time finding something else out of principle, more power to you. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

If your “business” equals “not giving them enough money to keep their business afloat” I’m not sure they’ll feel too badly losing a customer who would prefer to pay $1-4 and keep the app 5+ years.

:wave:

You can bemoan the wave of subscriptions all you want, but that ship has sailed. If you were around for “Betamax vs VHS” you may remember that Betamax was considered “better” in many ways, but VHS won the market.

One-Time Purchase might be the Betamax of software purchases, but over time you’re going to find fewer and fewer options available. Still your choice to make, but don’t think you’re going to reverse the tide with your protests.

The market for software had a similar show down with “One-Time Purchase vs Subscription” and subscription won, largely because Apple’s iOS App Store pushed the price of software towards $0. So if you want to be angry at someone, aim it towards Cupertino.

3 Likes